What's new

Extending wireless signal with powerline technology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tomovich

New Around Here
Hello

At my home we've got cable internet which comes inside the house onto a modem from the ISP. This modem sends a wireless signal (WI-FI) and a UTP-cable also goes to a desktop pc. Two laptops are on the wireless signal.

The problem is that in certain rooms we have no wireless signal. Two weeks ago I went into a computer shop and they sold me a WI-FI extender from Cisco (I think it was the RE1000 Wireless N or something). After installing it, I did have great coverage and could access the wireless network from anywhere in the house. Only one problem: every five minutes or so, the laptops lost connection and had to reconnect. This took around thirty seconds to do. The internet wasn't also very fast. I went back to the store and got my money back.

Now I've done some research and read some reviews from this site and I'm pretty sure I need to use powerline technology. I've read about the D-Link Powerline Router (DHP-1320) and about the D-Link Powerline Extender (DHP-W306AV). I wonder which one I should buy. On the place where I want it to install, there's no UTP-cable. What should I consider when choosing between the two? What do you guys recommend? I only want the wireless signal to go farther.
Also, these two reviews were from June and August last year, are there already better products on the market? The reviewer was very happy with these two products.

Thanks for helping out!

Since you already have a router you're happy with, just get a pair of HomePlug AV powerline adapters (I use TP-Link, they're cheap) and a generic wireless AP (I've had good luck with the EnGenius line and would recommend the ECB350).

And yes, you're right, repeaters are terrible. At least, generic repeaters. Some systems, like Ruckus, do have reliable network meshing.

I suppose the D-Link one is too costly for what it offers extra compared with the ones you suggest?

How far does the signal go?

Nah what I recommended will cost you more than D-Link lol.