What's new

External WiFi antenna has no effect!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexmust

New Around Here
I have a problem! I bought an external antenna for my Wireless router - 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g and i tried to connect it. I read the manual which was written that antenna has 12 dB of power. And my native has 4-5 dB. Manufacturer writes that power of range will be increase about 5 X!!!!!!! But I still can't see the difference! My new and my old antennas work equal (it's range). What is the problem? Thank you!:(

There are many factors that determine wireless range. Router antenna gain is only one.

I would need more details to comment further. Make and model # of router and antenna to start.

I have a problem! I bought an external antenna for my Wireless router - 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g and i tried to connect it. I read the manual which was written that antenna has 12 dB of power. And my native has 4-5 dB. Manufacturer writes that power of range will be increase about 5 X!!!!!!! But I still can't see the difference! My new and my old antennas work equal (it's range). What is the problem? Thank you!:(
Your b/g router may behave as I've seen others do:
It will choose an antenna with an adequate signal. It won't assuredly choose the antenna with the best signal (fastest rate). This is switched diversity as in 11b/g products. If you disconnect the second antenna, you may see the benefit of that 12dB. If that 12dBi is a flat patch antenna, it is of course directional horizontally, around the compass. If that antenna is a rod, not directional on the horizontal, then it's directional on the vertical. That means it has a radiation pattern like a doughnut- and you'll see a benefit *if* you are within the doughnut. Too high/low, like 10 degrees or so, it won't be the full 12 dB gain.

Be sure you don't have an antenna coax longer than 1 ft. or so. Be sure also that the connectors are the correct type to mate properly.

Lastly, if your antenna is a 12dBi rod-like omni on the horizontal (doughnut pattern), it should be about 3-4 ft. long. If it's half that, then the seller misrepresented the gain. A 20 inch rod at 2.4GHz is about 6-9dB. That's not much, compared to the 60 dB or more of loss in a 100 ft path.