What's new

Extremely Slow Transfer Speeds on RT-AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C4ETech

New Around Here
I have 4 RT-AX92U s setup as AIMesh... Wireless backhaul since ethernet is not an option here... Transfer Speeds to a PC I have (that's connected to one of the nodes through a 10GBe switch) is absymally slow...

My internet connection speed is 700Mbps... On phones, connecting via 5Ghz I get about 200 (sometimes not even that.. like right now 25, though speed at the router is 700mbps - screenshot attached) and most times transfer Speeds to that PC are like 4-10MBps...

I've attached screenshots of my wireless settings... Can anyone advice what could be the issue?

Yes running custom merlin fork... But this was the same thing that happened on the official firmware to so was checking if merlin would fix it... It didn't :(

Also the switch is not a problem... Since 2 PCs are connected to it and they can do 400-500MBps transfers easily (both have 10Gbe cards)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_235959_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235959_Firefox.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240909_235932_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235932_Firefox.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240909_235439_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235439_Firefox.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240909_235229_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235229_Firefox.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240909_235214_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235214_Firefox.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
2 screenshots didn't attach so adding here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_235157_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235157_Firefox.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240909_235206_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_235206_Firefox.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
If you are measuring 26Mbps on this node, that can be the wireless losses between the main router and the "Living room" and then above that the added losses between the "Living room" and "Bedrom". Means that it is normal with wireless backhaul. Depending on how far they are from each other and what is between them. (Be aware that if you will share higher resolution images in the future, hide your SSID and MAC adresses)
Main question is, why are you not able to use a wired backhaul? :)
1725913749669.png

Also, the switch are wired to the main router? And your main router has 660Mbps and the wired PCs gets only 400-500Mbps? That can mean that something is not correct on that switch too.
This is my (advertised as) 1Gbps connection trough 1Gbps ports. Trough one RT-AX53U, thats wired to a cheap TP-Link switch, and it is wired to an XD4 (with 20meters of Cat5e) and my PC is hooked to the XD4:
1725914816079.png

Also, the switch are wired to the main router? And your main router has 660Mbps and the wired PCs gets only 400-500Mbps? That can mean that something is not correct on that switch too.
This is my (advertised as) 1Gbps connection trough 1Gbps ports. Trough one RT-AX53U, thats wired to a cheap TP-Link switch, and it is wired to an XD4 (with 20meters of Cat5e) and my PC is hooked to the XD4:
View attachment 61412
The PCs transfer between each other at 500MBps (megabytes not bits) it's a 10gbe switch and the PCs have 10gbe cards... They get 700mbps internet...

The switch is connected to a mesh router on the network

But this does bring up something interesting...

This attachment is a pic of a Nvidia shield connected to another mesh router (via ethernet cable) and as you can see it gets full speed...

Attachments

• 20240910_005326.jpg
    20240910_005326.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 10
If you are measuring 26Mbps on this node, that can be the wireless losses between the main router and the "Living room" and then above that the added losses between the "Living room" and "Bedrom". Means that it is normal with wireless backhaul. Depending on how far they are from each other and what is between them. (Be aware that if you will share higher resolution images in the future, hide your SSID and MAC adresses)
View attachment 61411
Noted!

It's an old house... There's no concealed wiring... I'm renting it... It's an old Arab style villa... So 3 rooms are outside the house... I can't really run ethernet to there!!!

The main router and the living room node are 30feet apart with one wall inbetween... And right now I'm outside.... 30 feet in another direction and I'm getting 200mbps... And the transfer Speeds to that PC is 20MBps right now (first time I've seen it go over 14)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_010333_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_010333_Firefox.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 10
View attachment 61411
I think the image compression makes the mac addresses not visible here right? just checking if I'm missing something (I didnt think of it when I uploaded... now I got on my pc to edit the images and I cant make out the mac addresses.... hence the question)

I think the image compression makes the mac addresses not visible here right? just checking if I'm missing something (I didnt think of it when I uploaded... now I got on my pc to edit the images and I cant make out the mac addresses.... hence the question)
Yeah, it is fine this way.

Back to your setup: It is really not ideal. Maybe you can get more bandwidth by moving around the nodes inside the rooms, but it is really not ideal.
Its not visible on your pics, but do you have the latest firmware? Newer firmwares seems to handle the mix of 2,4GHz and 5GHz bachaul a lot better.
I have a friend wo had similar problem, the landlord not allowed any modifications for cables. He solved that by puttung a pole on the roof (the cable net came in to the roof of the house) and he put a weather proof access point on top of the pole. Since the roof was made of wood and tiles, the concrete walls not affected the signals as much.

Yeah, it is fine this way.

Back to your setup: It is really not ideal. Maybe you can get more bandwidth by moving around the nodes inside the rooms, but it is really not ideal.
Its not visible on your pics, but do you have the latest firmware? Newer firmwares seems to handle the mix of 2,4GHz and 5GHz bachaul a lot better.
I have a friend wo had similar problem, the landlord not allowed any modifications for cables. He solved that by puttung a pole on the roof (the cable net came in to the roof of the house) and he put a weather proof access point on top of the pole. Since the roof was made of wood and tiles, the concrete walls not affected the signals as much.
Yes I had the latest asus firmware... then I tried the merlin fork too...

I don't see how moving the nodes around would make a difference.. the primary and the node in the living room are at a distance of just 15 feet separated by one concrete wall - the primary and the one in my office are at a distance of 30 feet, separated by a very thin wooden door and a glass window.. they almost have line of sight lol!

The connection quality under "AIMesh" shows as GREAT for both...