What's new

Fail over Wan = high cpu use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EspHack

Occasional Visitor
Hey there,

Recently had some downtime from main Wan so I set up a backup on lan2, apparently whenever it fails over to wan2 the cpu usage goes up and down like crazy and connection becomes erratically unstable,

What gives? It's an ac87r running last merlin on it, don't remember it misbehaving back when I first tried the dual Wan feature some years back.

What gives?

Dual WAN in Asuswrt is know to have issues and your Merlin is about 4 years old on very old Asuswrt base. If you need reliable Dual WAN I would suggest looking at different hardware. Small business routers under $100 like Ubiquiti ER-X, MikroTik hEX, TP-Link ER605 all do Multi-WAN reliably.

Good options. You’re at the very least able to reuse your wireless router to act as a AP saving you money instead of buying a new consumer router that is forced to juggle many hats. Router,wirelessAP,switch,nas,etc.

so I take it even current asus hw with latest merlin would disappoint in this task?

my only must have is that adaptive QoS feature here, otherwise an ER-X + 2x AP sounds perfect

so I take it even current asus hw with latest merlin would disappoint in this task?

my only must have is that adaptive QoS feature here, otherwise an ER-X + 2x AP sounds perfect

I’ve not experimented with wan fallback functionality myself so I could not definitively say. I have a GT-AX11000, it might be up to the task, but Asus also has a pro version on the newer codebase same with the wifi7 models with SDN capabilities that mine “currently” does not. So it might be model dependent on how stable this feature is or what code is running on Asus stock/Merlin.

my only must have is that adaptive QoS feature here

In this case you have to go with a newer Asus model and hope for the best with Dual WAN feature. The routers above are entry-level business class devices, any type of true SQM will limit WAN-LAN throughput to under 200Mbps, they don't have parental controls, gaming features nor rely on 3rd party providers. Basic devices good for managing multi-WAN in this case plus some business use specific features not available in most home routers. Adaptive QoS is Trend Micro feature and runs only after you agree to share data with Trend Micro. You may want to try the new Asus ExpertWiFi EBR63 router. It's entry-level hardware, still better than your old RT-AC87U, marketed "for business"... who knows, may work properly. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited: