What's new

Fios actiontec MI424WRgen 3 and Asus RT-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jfischbein

New Around Here
I have an actiontec 192.168.1.1 (wifi off) and and Asus RT-ac68u 192.168.1.2 AP mode (wifi on). The asus is conected LAN to Lan from actiontec. Both have current firmware installed. I recently added a mac mini connected via ethernet to the asus and disconnected a mycloud from the asus and connected to mac mini. I have a my book studio connected usb 3.0to the asus to be used as

I am now having issues where the asus is dropping wifi connections and has to be rebooted only to drop connections after a little while. I have looked for ip conflicts and even done hard reset on asus and put it back to AP mode.

I cannot eliminate the actiontec as I need for Fios Quantum media mgmt.

Any ideas on what needs to be adjusted?

I have almost the same set up with an Actiontec in front of an ASUS with no problems so you should be able to get yours to work also.

Just a couple of things to check in the AP mode:

In the LAN settings on the ASUS you do have it set to the static IP 192.168.1.2 for the LAN.

You also might want to set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 ( this is the Actiontec)

FYI when you are running the ASUS in the AP mode you can connect the Ethernet cable from the Actiontec to the WAN port on the ASUS as it is operating as a LAN port in this mode. The primary reason to do this is it gives you an extra LAN port for other hardwired connections.

You also may want to look at your WiFi setup. Put your 2.4 Ghz radios on either channel 1,6, or 11 Mhz. If you are using 5 Ghz you may want to try one of the lower available channels. For some reason Apple products seem to be more fickle than other WiFi devices about auto channel switching and higher frequency 5 Ghz channels.

If your setup, which should work flawlessly as an AP, still gives you problems put the ASUS back in the router mode and double NAT it behind the Actiontec. The advantage of using the Actiontec just for the FIOS set top boxes and the ASUS for everything else is that you have much more flexibility because of the ASUS better firmware.

I have run double NATed behind my Actiontec and the only minor inconvenience is port forwarding is slightly more complicated. I still get my full 75/75 speed measured at my ASUS double NATed behind the Actiontec. No different speed than my ASUS running as an AP connected to the Actiontec.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!