What's new

Fios G1100 vs r7000 or other?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pj_rage

New Around Here
I recently cut the cord and grabbed gigabit internet from Fios, as I'm sure many have.

I don't want to rent a router, so I'm looking into my options.

I've been using the G1100 for almost 3 years and I have been satisfied with it. It would certainly do the job for me moving forward, I just want to make sure that for similar cost there isn't something better?

I'm not a power user of wireless by any means. I mainly use it for my firetv/roku/tvs to connect and stream, and phones/tablets for browsing the web and watching youtube. I don't have a need or desire for extreme wireless speeds. Anything that really needs speed I'm able to run wired.

I'm in a single family home where I can only see 2 neighbors SSIDs, if that matters.

The two priorities would be stability and wireless coverage from the single router (no APs/extenders). The range of the G1100 covers everything for me with adequate bandwidth, except the garage and driveway, but I'm not too worried about those. That is to say, range could be better for my needs, but not by much. I use an extender in the garage already.

The G1100 has been exceptional at stability (I've not had to mess with or reboot it in years), and hopefully anything else I'd replace it with would also be similarly stable.

One thing that is important to me is WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN routing performance. I'm able to get 940/930 now with the G1100, and, not that I need that speed, I don't want to replace it with something that can't route with similar performance. I was originally looking at something like the TP-Link Archer C7 or Netgear R6440/R6700, but those 3 can't route true gigabit (according to SNB reviews). The R7000 looks like it can, so I'm considering that one. I'm not sure if I'm missing any others to consider? It seems like wanting true gigabit routing performance is really limiting for under $200.

Price range would be up to roughly $200, and I'm comfortable buying used or refurb. Price could be slightly more if it represents an excellent value.

My fallback plan is just to buy a G1100. As I mentioned I've been happy with it. The areas I'd be looking to improve would really only be: improved range (even if by a little), more configurability overall such as with firewall and vpn (e.g. what pfsense can do -- though I don't think I can afford to get into that expense as I don't really need it enough to invest).

Anything come to mind other than the R7000? Anyone have any idea of how the R7000 would perform against the G1100?

One thing that is important to me is WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN routing performance. I'm able to get 940/930 now with the G1100, and, not that I need that speed, I don't want to replace it with something that can't route with similar performance. I was originally looking at something like the TP-Link Archer C7 or Netgear R6440/R6700, but those 3 can't route true gigabit (according to SNB reviews). The R7000 looks like it can, so I'm considering that one. I'm not sure if I'm missing any others to consider? It seems like wanting true gigabit routing performance is really limiting for under $200.

Just pick up an G1100 on the Amazon, and provision it with the FIOS guys -- it has the wired speed as you've noted, and as an AC1750 class WiFi device, it's probably good enough...

And on Amazon, they're pretty darn cheap ;)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!