What's new

Firmware update on my ASUS RT-AX82U knoxked out 5ghz band & turtled 2.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dataman64

New Around Here
BACKSTORY (summarized):

The first few times I attempted to update the firmware on my ASUS RT-AX82U, the update failed and it either rebooted itself 15 seconds after wi-fi connected, had unstable connectivity or “bricked” it for a few days.

I had tried the Reset button & Factory reset via WPS switch. Only made things worse after re-entering the SSID data over and over. Yes, I called ASUS support, but no solution worked. At this stage, ethernet & wi-fi were dead.

After doing my own research, as a last resort, I forced a firmware update by connecting PC to wi-fi hotspot from cell & then manually downloading the firmware file from the ASUS download center. I then used the ASUS FIRMWARE RESTORATION tool. My router was manufactured in 2021, so I eventually used the 11/21 version, since other versions were extremely unstable.

After that, my ethernet and Wi-Fi worked, albeit without the 5ghz band and Wi-Fi being slow. Reluctantly, after a few days I used the GUI to update the firmware to the latest version:

Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_24963-g7d00a47
The latest version : The router’s current firmware is the latest version.

Ethernet works fine @ 289mbs. Wi-Fi partially works, but enough to stream videos and support smart-home devices.

CURRENT DILEMMA:

• As of this writing, my 5Ghz SSID is not showing on my cell and the 5Ghz LED on the router is not lit, even though the dual-band broadcast is enabled. I can live without it but just wondering why?
  • The download speed of the 2.4Ghz band is low, between 4-12Mbs.

Attached is a screenshot of my router’s main GUI. Further screenshots or feedback of menu items A-U available upon request.

Attachments

• main.png
    main.png
    176 KB · Views: 6

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!