What's new

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dougj

Occasional Visitor
I am currently running the following AiMesh system:
RT-AX88U primary router running current f/w version 3.0.0.4.388_24209-g4f420do
RT-AX58U node running f/w version 3.0.0.4.388.1_0

My end goal is to switch from ASUSwrt to ASUSwrt-Merlin to gain access to the VPN killswitch feature so I wanted to ensure I am at the latest updates before proceeding.

As a start I opened my ASUS app and looked under devices>AiMesh to find that the 58U node has an update available, listed as 3.0.0.4.388_8_2. To double check I referred to the WebGUI to see the same upgrade was offered there (see images). As as result , on the app, I started the f/w update process. It took about three minutes and then failed with no explanation ( see images).

To test further I consulted the ASUS drivers site at both asus.com and asus.com/ca-en to find the following update shown as available 3.0.0.4.388_24762 (dated 2024/04/12) which is different then what is shown as available on the WebGUI and app.

As a final step I downloaded the f/w version for the node as shown on the ASUS drivers site and tried to update using the manual upload feature on the WebGUI under administration>Firmware Upgrade>RT-AX58U Upload. That failed as well (see image) again no real explanation.

Generally these devices seem to run stable except every once in a while I get this quirky problem when I go to the f/w update tab under administration on the webGUI it goes immediately to a downloading f/w page that never completes. When that happens I restart the router and its back to normal.

I am at a loss now how to get this update installed and do i need this update to go to merlin?

TIA for any support.

D.

Attachments

• App update available.jpg
    App update available.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
  • App update Failure.jpg
    App update Failure.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 19
  • AX58U Update Site.jpg
    AX58U Update Site.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 17
  • WebGUI update available.png
    WebGUI update available.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
  • WebGUI update Failure.jpg
    WebGUI update Failure.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
Your post is confusing. Your node is running Merlin's firmware but you're trying to update it through the Asus app. The app does not officially support Merlin's firmware. Some parts of it might work other parts won't. Assume it won't work.

You then go on to try and update the node manually via the web browser from Merlin's firmware back to stock Asus firmware. Why?

I have NEVER installed merlin on this box, or any, myself but now that you bring it up I did get this node device from a friend and thought I factory reset it as he reminded me to do so.

Since I am already part way there, can I, from the webGUI, manually upload the latest merlin update for the node to get it up to date and then update the primary to merlin?

Also what tells me it's merlin s/w vs factory?

D.

Merlin's firmware uses different version numbering than stock. See Merlin's firmware current releases here:

I have NEVER installed merlin on this box, or any, myself but now that you bring it up I did get this node device from a friend and thought I factory reset it as he reminded me to do so.
Factory resetting the router doesn't change the firmware version installed. It just resets the settings to their default values.

Since I am already part way there, can I, from the webGUI, manually upload the latest merlin update for the node to get it up to date and then update the primary to merlin?
In theory yes.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!