What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mddamon

New Around Here
A few nights ago my AX92U Asus router seemingly overheated/fried most likely from the fact that I had USB components plugged in that were not storage devices. (A laptop fan and/or a ring light I forgot).

I have tried every general thing like changing the outlet I plug into, using a different adapter plug, pressing it in differently, hitting the power button etc. but I have had no results in getting the lights to turn back on or have it show any signs of life (seeing the network appear on my computer with USB sticks that have lights).

If anybody could tell me useful information on how to fix it or what may be the issue that would be wonderful. I can send photos of the board if requested since I've taken it out. Even for someone who isn't very techy, i'm not seeing anything that shows promising signs of damage.

I'm pretty desperate because I need the wifi speeds and a space for a NAS drive so yeah again, if anybody knows how to analyze and fix the issue please tell 💀
(Im trying to keep buying another one out of the question since I can't afford it)

Thanks again

For a chance to fix this you need equipment and experience in electronics repair. No schematics online for Asus router. All you can find is reference design for components used in case you can identify them correctly. No signs of life whatsoever means you have to start tracing the issue from the power plug and work your way trough all power circuits inside. They are many powering different components on the PCB. USB attached devices are unlikely to fry the router. USB power circuit has both current overload and voltage surge protection. Good luck!

I have had no results in getting the lights to turn back on or have it show any signs of life (seeing the network appear on my computer with USB sticks that have lights).
1. So, you can see your wireless network with a USB stick?
2. Only this AX92U are providing this SSID? (There is no other AP or router with the same wifi)
If both of your answers are yes, than just connect to router.asus.com on your lan, log in and turn back on the router LEDs: Go to AiMesh > Topology > Management > LED
You can also toggle them on the router app.

It will be really funny if the LED lights are just off and @mddamon disassembled the router and took the PCB out in an attempt to fix it. 🤭

Last edited:
2. Only this AX92U are providing this SSID? (There is no other AP or router with the same wifi)
If both of your answers are yes, than just connect to router.asus.com on your lan, log in and turn back on the router LEDs: Go to AiMesh > Topology > Management > LED
The router is no different than being turned off. No signal, no lights, no power through USB ports.

It will be really funny if the LED lights are just off and @mddamon disassembled the router and took the PCB out in an attempt to fix it. 🤭
The lights were off, the usb ports stopped working, the network disappeared off my computers mapped section. I didn't pull it apart just to bust it, it was already busted.

No I am saying I left in a USB to see if there's any sort of power going through since it would light up and it didn't work. I used an identical adapter from my other ax92u and it still didn't work. The network is not there.

In your tests have you removed all the USB devices connected to the router first?
There was a USB in it when it stopped working. It was clear after plugging in a small 4gb and changing outlets that it was just gone. No signal, no lights, no power to the usbs.

Most likely one of the many step-down power convertors inside died. Not your fault, it fried itself.

1. Take it apart, dont take off the heatsinks yet, just visually check the components what you can see. If you see something burnt or looks damaged, dont hold it back, share it with us.
2. If you have a DMM (Digitalmultimeter), set it to diode mode, than you can put the black probe to a ground (for example to the metal USB port casing) and go around on the coils. If any one of them are beeps (shorted) you have to look for the faulty component around it.
3. If none of em are beeping, check if the resistances in Ohm modes (check my pictures), on the coils are the same as on mine (mine has a faulty nand flash, but the resistances should be correct):

These routers use very tiny surface mount components. Unless your skilled with the proper equipment your not going to be able to start swapping parts. If it's not a power supply issue likely time for RMA or junk it and move on.

Repairing this one may not worth it - it's End-of-Life device for some time. It was quirky to begin with, with ongoing firmware issues.

A few hundred sqkm around me just got optic to retire the 50+years old twisted pair (ASDL, max 10Mbit/s), so there is a high demand for any cheap AX capable devices. The quirkiest are the cheapest = sells the best :/

No cheap TP-Link, D-Link, Xiaomi, Tenda, etc. around? Some start from under $50 new.

Im from the EU, my country has 27% sales tax + few % duty on everything. At the end, 100+$ are the starter price of wifi 6 routers (Tenda...). Not to mention that here you have to work like double amount of time to get 100 bucks, compared to basically any country west from us. So, the need is high, even if they know they have to pay for something twice, cause its a trash product.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!