What's new

Frustrating VPN Double NAT Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Short

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased a NordVPN basic plan, which I intended to use on my Asus RT-AX88U router with configuring OpenVPN using the routers VPN Fusion setting. The reason for this was to ensure the gaming consoles and PCs in my home had VPN protection, at this point I would mention that I am subscribed to Sky UK Full Fibre broadband, which has native IPv6 access. So my broadband connection is Openreach ONT to RT-AX88U to devices.

The configuration of OpenVPN on the router went fine, all devices connected to it were showing no DNS leaks and different IP addresses to the WAN IP of my router, Great! However, when I started playing on my Xbox Series S, I noticed some games were not loading properly. Upon check the Xbox internet settings I saw that my NAT type status was 'Strict' due to a double NAT issue. If I disconnect the VPN service my NAT type reverts to 'Open', which is what it should be, and I am able to play games properly again. However, if I enable native IPv6 on my router with the VPN service running, I get Open NAT as well, unfortunately doing this then makes the VPN service show as not connected on other devices around the home. I can install NordVPN apps on these other devices, which will eliminate this problem, but that doesn't fix the fact that I am unable to have a secure connection through my gaming consoles and PC, which will allow Open NAT.

In all it's a pretty frustrating scenario that I've been trying to sort out for last couple of days. I've also tried Port Forwarding for the Xbox, but not even that removes the double NAT issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions to give me to help sort this issue out, or may know of something that I might have missed that can be easily forgotten about during the setup process. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.