What's new

FTP Client with GUI (Web or APP): Suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fishwithadeagle

New Around Here
Router: GT-AX11000 Pro with Merlin 3004 and entware installed

Request: Suggestions for FTP client with graphical user interface either via app or website / other tool

Background:
I have a remote FTP server that I would like to transfer files directly to the mounted usb drives on the router to avoid downloading the files and then re-uploading. Simultaneous download with reupload via filezilla is slow due to constantly both downloading and uploading.

LFTP works well via SSH, but it doesn't seem to have a GUI which can be a bit of a pain if downloading multiple files.

Entware conflicts with asus download manager, so I need a different solution. Additionally, I was unable to change directories when using that previously.

I tried aria2, but upon install it was unresponsive due to openssh troubles that seem to be present on the most recent version. It would have been nice if that option worked, but the last tutorial for installation was made 5 years ago.

Transmission worked with a gui, but didn't seem to support ftp or html downloads.

If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it!

I would suggest SFTP over ftp. But the standard these days would be to tunnel directly into your server using a VPN tunnel using openvpn or WireGuard, or others. You could install Samba or nfs or others to directly transfer files to your server. I would just make sure you don’t expose incoming traffic the ports of samba directly to the internet.

If you have a server that can support applications like Nextcloud or owncloud that’s also a option. But if you need ssh file directories of the server and not shared directories sftp is your best bet. I just might pair it with a vpn server tunnel to add extra security.

You could also use rsync.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!