What's new

FW Update Issue from 386.3_2 to latest on ASUS RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nimlaor

New Around Here
Hi,
I am on a very old version by Merlin on Asus RT-AX88U.
Current Version is : 386.3_2
Latest Version is : RT-AX88U_3004_388.8

I am trying to update to the latest one but it doesn't work.
I've also tried to update to stock and it also doesn't work.
Do you have any idea why and suggestions how to fix ?

Thanks

I am trying to update to the latest one but it doesn't work.
What does "it doesn't work" mean? What error message are you getting if any?
Are you using a computer wired directly to the router or using a computer or mobile device over WiFi?
Have you tried a different web browser?
Have you tried disabling any web browser add-ons or extentions?
If you are running third party antivirus, malware or security software have you tried temporarily disabling it?
Is there a USB hard drive attached to the router? If so, remove it before trying to upload new firmware.
Are you running any addon scripts on the router?
Have you checked the router log to see if there are any errors or issues around the time you are trying to flash new firmware?

Because your current version 386.3_2 is three years old you should update to an interim firmware, like 388.1, first before trying to load the latest.

PS: A last resort troubleshooting step, perform a hard factory reset, if you haven't already and try flashing the firmware.

Last edited:
In any case this router has to be reset to factory defaults on this 2+ years jump in firmware version. Remove everything, reset, try updating in GUI again, reset one more time after if successful. If not successful use Firmware Restoration with extra caution, reset after, reconfigure manually.

And the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for this model is 3004_388.8_2:

This would be a great experiment for MerlinAU!