What's new

Geek Force Android/Linux router board

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLostSwede

Very Senior Member
Didn't find any discussion about this here, so I figured I'd start one.
Saw this over at Indiegogo and it looks like it has a really interesting hardware platform https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-force-the-1st-android-and-linux-router-board#/

It's got the new MT7623 SoC from Mediatek that apparently can run OpenWRT, Android or Ubuntu Snappy as the OS. It supports eMMC and even has HDMI ports. It's a shame it's just a board and not a more finished product, but hopefully we'll see some routers based on this chip that supports at least some of the features you get with this dev. board.

ChcwL3WxKL44oUWn58OpYPVj39kKPvM2cpdcWRHhv6pkl6SRKiXBhaAgpQCqaN9BtVk=w4000-h3000-rw-no

Last edited:
meh... doesn't offer much more than what other ARMv7 based platforms do...

It's got the new MT7623 SoC from Mediatek that apparently can run OpenWRT, Android or Ubuntu Snappy as the OS. It supports eMMC and even has HDMI ports. It's a shame it's just a board and not a more finished product, but hopefully we'll see some routers based on this chip that supports at least some of the features you get with this dev. board.

Meh... HDMI In/Out isn't really needed on a Router/AP, and there's lots of Quad/Octo-Core boxes available already for HTPC usage for Android... check Alibaba and you'll find many for less than $100USD shipped FOB Shenzhen...

That, and MediaTek == Ralink, doesn't fill me with confidence... I'll pass, thank you..

Meh... HDMI In/Out isn't really needed on a Router/AP, and there's lots of Quad/Octo-Core boxes available already for HTPC usage for Android... check Alibaba and you'll find many for less than $100USD shipped FOB Shenzhen...

That, and MediaTek == Ralink, doesn't fill me with confidence... I'll pass, thank you..

Well, this board is coming out of Taiwan, not China, big difference imho. And as I said, I'm not really interested in the Android support, doesn't make sense for a router.

HDMI isn't needed on a router, but maybe it's time to think outside the box? I have several ideas of what this chipset could be used for.

Nothing wrong with MediaTek, although Ralink has a lot to prove, as their platform support isn't the best. MediaTek on the other hand has been getting better and better.

Oh and I was simply sharing some information, not forcing anyone to get something they're not interested in...

Nothing wrong with MediaTek, although Ralink has a lot to prove, as their platform support isn't the best. MediaTek on the other hand has been getting better and better.

MediaTek bought Ralink - so...

HDMI is worth it on a router for reasons other than displays but it needs to be a bidirectional HDMI port. Some networking can be done over HDMI and HDMI specs does include use for networking.

MediaTek isnt as interesting as other chipsets like the snapdragon because the snapdragon usually includes other accelerators in it such as the hexagon CPU that apparently can be addressed for doing some tasks. If sound is not important than the samsung chips only gain over mediatek is GPU. Dont forget that nvidia has their own chipsets too but is rare.

So mediatek chips may be the cheapest but they are the lowest performing ones too unless however the ARM cores are the only thing you care about in which case mediatek chips are a better bargain.

For a router platform the more complex chips are much better. You will want to avoid cores like the ARM A8. The ARM A7 and A9 are currently used in many "premium" consumer routers but it is the ARM A15 or the 64 bit variant or even qualcomm kraits that you want for decent performance in a router not only for routing but to run other software too. While nvidia denver and apple cyclones are good performing chips they arent available outside their own products so unless you request the company for a dev board you arent going to get them in router form.

Checking the architecture used is important to determine how well it will run things and how long it will last before being obsolete. The smaller process lowers power and heat and gives some overclocking leeway. Not all chips can be overclocked though.

If you are building your own all in one router than try to get your hands on some broadcom mini PCIe wifi cards and make sure the OS you use has drivers or support for them. Use as little and as good quality antenna cable you can and use good antennas if you want them to have equivalent performance to premium consumer routers. For the same price or even cheaper you might be able to build better.

Ralink was/is a MIPS shop - MediaTek is ARM, and it's fairly easy these days to glue up a couple of ARM Cortex-A9 cores, along with logics for switching, and call it an SoC...

Very, very few folks discuss MediaTek as a peer for Qualcomm, Broadcom, Marvell as a chip designer...

If one really wanted to build out a decent Router/AP - grab a Marvell Armada (if one wants ARM) or an Intel Atom (Rangely), drop a decent switch (Marvell or Realtek)... the Armada and Atom variants have decent PCI-e, so my thoughts are either Broadcom or QC-Atheros for the WiFi (both are good, and have decent NDA'ed drivers for them)...

I'd probably go w/BSD vs. Linux to avoid GPL jeopardy...

And with Intel or ARM - one doesn't need to do the whole propeller head Tilera gymnastics with code... it might work, but there's about 5 guys in the world that can make the most of that arch - everyone else is focused on ARMv8 and AMD64 these days...

HDMI is worth it on a router for reasons other than displays but it needs to be a bidirectional HDMI port. Some networking can be done over HDMI and HDMI specs does include use for networking.

Please, please, please - provide a use case for having HDMI on a Consumer Grade Router/AP...

Please, please, please - provide a use case for having HDMI on a Consumer Grade Router/AP...
3 use cases.
1) as a tv/entertainment box (less devices means less power)
2) high bandwidth networking where ethernet just isnt enough
3) to use with a monitor for monitoring or for use with a graphical smart home system

1) A router will always be needed. Having one with HDMI doesn't solve anything and will take more power than a similar router without it.
2) If Ethernet isn't enough, then HDMI won't help (everything will end up going through Ethernet eventually).
3) Why have a dedicated monitor (where the router is), that is taking much more power, to 'monitor' a smart home system that you can now do from multiple and more convenient locations already?

I think you're clutching at straws here for the benefits of HDMI for a router.

1 HDMI port isnt enough you need at least 2. Sure it will take more power but it will still use less power than having a router + tv box.
If ethernet isnt having other forms like HDMI, SFP and so on can help not only for medium type but also increase the total port number. Also these additional ports arent switched so theres less bottleneck.
If you have a dedicated monitor where the router is like for a smart home system than you reduce your overall clutter if you mount the router to the back of it. Monitors nowdays when idle and plugged in draw like 1W. You forgot that the point of having a router on one of these boards is also for the power saving features assuming it is capable of it just like x86 systems and also for the configurability (SATA, extra ports that you can add sensors too, etc). It is not entirely unreasonable to have a monitor or screen for this or even to hook up to speakers.

What I'm reading you're still contradicting yourself. A tv box isn't required just like a router with HDMI isn't either for a TV with an Ethernet or WiFi connection.

I don't get the idea of a dedicated monitor for a smart home system? Regardless of what it could do.

That type of control and accessibility is needed where the user is, not where the router happens to be.

3 use cases.
1) as a tv/entertainment box (less devices means less power)
2) high bandwidth networking where ethernet just isnt enough
3) to use with a monitor for monitoring or for use with a graphical smart home system

1) for a Media Bridge - sure, not needed for a router - most folks don't have their Router/AP next to the TV, eh?
2) HDMI is a point to point connection, not suitable for the application you mention (think Firewire or Thunderbolt as a direct connection, it's possible, just nobody does it as the need hasn't really been there in general usage - I have used thunderbolt to network between two machines (Mac to Mac) and it's beyond fast..., but again point to point)
3) skinny use case due to proximity - better to do a web based dashboard that one can pull up in a smartphone/tablet/settop box browser

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!