What's new

Geolocalized Apps on LG Smart TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ferrarista

Occasional Visitor
I have an LG Smart TV and I would like to install geoblocked apps and view geolocalized content (Italian). I set a VPN server using an Asus AX88U in Italy (with OpenVPN but this can be changed). How can I connect the TV only to the VPN server?
The point is that I don't want to filter the whole traffic through the VPN as it would slow down my connection. I want to filter only the data traffic of the smart TV.

Either the client (TV in this case) must support OpenVPN itself, thus creating a direct connection, OR, your router on the client side needs to support OpenVPN and PBR (policy based routing). Since you made no mention of what you're using on the client side, I don't know if it's possible.

Sometimes it can be more practical to use a secondary router on the client side that's daisy-chained behind the primary, provided that secondary router supports OpenVPN, then have the TV connected to it over wire or wireless. The downside is that you'll probably lose access to features like Chromecast on the TV since that only works if the target of the casting and TV are on the *same* IP network.

Either the client (TV in this case) must support OpenVPN itself, thus creating a direct connection, OR, your router on the client side needs to support OpenVPN and PBR (policy based routing). Since you made no mention of what you're using on the client side, I don't know if it's possible.

Sometimes it can be more practical to use a secondary router on the client side that's daisy-chained behind the primary, provided that secondary router supports OpenVPN, then have the TV connected to it over wire or wireless. The downside is that you'll probably lose access to features like Chromecast on the TV since that only works if the target of the casting and TV are on the *same* IP network.

yep

My question was more about installing (or modifying the software to that purpose) a VPN client on the LG TV. As I said it does not have to be OpenVPN as my server router also supports other protocols (it is an AX88U with merlin firmware).
About the option of using a dedicated router, I am open at the moment. I am using the modem/router provided by the ISP but I can substitute it (I have internet via Coax cable) with another one supporting VPN clients.

My question was more about installing ... a VPN client on the LG TV.
This would appear to a question more suited to a forum that's dedicated to (LG) TVs rather than SNB.

You didn't state what model TV you have or what OS it uses. If it's an Android TV can you not install a VPN client from the Play Store? If it's not an Android based TV then your best bet would be to try and find an LG owners forum.

It is a LG C4 with WebOS 24
The top hit in a google search was a reddit post that linked to this:

Also this:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!