What's new

Getting to the bottom of my failed British General (BG) sockets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crimliar

Very Senior Member
Rather than use smart adapters, I've used BG Smart wall sockets in a couple of places around the home - mostly where protrusion was an issue. These sockets form their own network with a single socket (it can be any socket, they're identical) being the bridge between them and the main WiFi network. Over a period of time though, I found these to become increasingly unreliable. The oddest part of that unreliability being that at times there seemed to be no "bridge" socket on the network, but remote control would still mostly work. Last weekend I removed the last of my BG smart wall sockets. So I was a little surprised to see in the overnight router logs more than 1,000 failed attempts by, according to the MAC address, what is apparently a BG smart wall socket.
Just to be safe, I've blocked the MAC address. Everything here is working, so I'm assuming this is a device in one of my neighbours homes (-77dBm). I'm wracking my brains to think if I've set anything up for someone else, but among my direct neighbours the only devices I can think of are alarm systems with some wireless (433/866MHz which is the band I believe the BG stuff uses to communicate between devices on too) components, but I'd definitely never have set any of these using my WiFi!
The device whatever it may be, seems to have never successfully connected to my network, so I'm left trying to figure out exactly what may have happened. I don't want to go down the conspiracy rabbit hole, but I'm leaning towards a software issue on a device owned by a neighbour - if this is another Sky-Mini issue I'll scream!

So, any non-conspiratorial ideas. I've thought about setting up a honey-pot/tar-pit but if this is an innocent issue that could be a lot of work, and I'm lazy like that! *BG Luceo support is useless!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!