What's new

Gigabit LAN with Wireless N that supports DD-WRT or Tomato?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lgm

New Around Here
Does such thing even exist?

I've using WRT54G for a couple of years now but with the need for a NAS I am researching for a new router to take full advantage of the gigabit port that comes with my NAS candidates. However, I don't wanna give up the flexibility and power come with DD-WRT.

couple of side questions.

1. if i stay with my current router with 100M lan port, how much impact would it have on my NAS transfer speed?

2. aside from dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt/etc., which vendor seems to offer the best firmware in term of features and reliability?

Thanks!

NAS to wired PCs can use a gigE (cheap) switch so WiFi and router goodness are N/A.

NAS to WiFi laptops- do these NEED more than WiFi speeds?

If you're using a wireless connection, even if it's draft 802.11n, you don't even need to think about NAS performance; the wireless connection will be the limiting factor. This is because you're doing well if you get about 60 Mbps (Megabits/second) from a draft 11n connection, which is 7.5 MB/s (Megabytes/second).

Buffalo routers now run DD-WRT standard.

NAS to wired PCs can use a gigE (cheap) switch so WiFi and router goodness are N/A.

If at all possible, don't wanna stack a switch on top of the router.

If you're using a wireless connection, even if it's draft 802.11n, you don't even need to think about NAS performance; the wireless connection will be the limiting factor. This is because you're doing well if you get about 60 Mbps (Megabits/second) from a draft 11n connection, which is 7.5 MB/s (Megabytes/second).

Buffalo routers now run DD-WRT standard.

I understand the wireless limiting factor. the nas box would run a wire connection to the router and the pc as well. the wireless is mainly in place for secondary/guest laptops and mobile devices.

is there any Buffalo router you would recommend in particular? since they run DD-WRT as the standard now, performance becomes the main factor.

oh, one more question. is the dd-wrt on buffalo router watered down? or is it the same as the one you can download and flash yourself?

Last edited:
I understand the wireless limiting factor. the nas box would run a wire connection to the router and the pc as well. the wireless is mainly in place for secondary/guest laptops and mobile devices.

is there any Buffalo router you would recommend in particular? since they run DD-WRT as the standard now, performance becomes the main factor.

oh, one more question. is the dd-wrt on buffalo router watered down? or is it the same as the one you can download and flash yourself?
I have no specific recommendations. I haven't tested any of Buffalo's new routers.

Also don't know about which version of DD-WRT. Check w/ Buffalo.

I was looking for the same and eventually got the ASUS RT-N16
Now installed with Tomato USB VPN. Highly recommended on the Tomato USB forums.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!