What's new

Gigabit router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redsail

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my old Linksys WRT54G v3 router. I have a mix of G and N devices, although none of my N devices are dual band. I plan on using the new router as N only and use the old linksys as G only to keep the N devices as fast as possible. I need gigabit lan ports as I copy large files between machines, and I game heavily on the PC (wired),consoles (wired), and laptop (single band N). I live in a fairly small 2 bedroom apartment so range should not be an issue, but there are many wireless networks in my complex.

Are there any fast, stable, non dual band routers with gigabit lan? What would you recommend? Should I just get a dual band for its speed and turn off 5GHZ? Forgot to add my budget. I'm willing to spend up to $130 (RT-56 price), but would prefer less since I don't have a need for 5GHZ.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You'd be better off getting a Gigabit switch and simple single-band N router with 10/100 ports. Check the Cisco Home store for refurb deals on both routers and switches.

I agree and that's what I have.. since my ISP is far less than 100Mbps, and I don't move gigabyte files on the WiFi.

Some of these ISPs do now have 100mbps or higher for the home. You just have to shell out more dough for it. I am happy with my 32mbps down. In my prior place I did get 40 to 50 at no extra charge because they were testing it out. Now they had limited those who where getting back to 30mbps instead of the 40 to 50 then charged over $100 for it! I am not paying more. I can't agree on the 10/100 rough which is 6/60mbps, and going the 10/100/1000 route is better for now. I was hoping to see the 10/100/1000/10000 to hit homes sooner. Since the new wifi standard is coming out soon who know what they'll offer us.