What's new

Gigabit Switches, any daisy chain effect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmb

Regular Contributor
I've got most devices, (PC, VOIP adapter, printer), connected to the router through a gigabit switch. There is also a CAT6 extension down to another room, with another gigabit switch for TV, AMP, HTTPC, PVR.

I'm now thinking to resite the router (RT-N66U), and this would mean using another switch just to extend its position.

Will it matter that some devices will go through three switches?

Keep in mind that bandwidth on the chained switches is limited to 1 Gbps up and down between switches. So put devices that need to transfer a lot of data on the same switch if you can

That's worth knowing too.

I think I can guess the answer to this, but will ask just confirm...if two devices are on the same switch and are transferring data, that data has to go from device one to the router, then back down through the switch to device two. And, if that switch is itself on an extension, then I can see transfer speeds being effected.

I think I can guess the answer to this, but will ask just confirm...if two devices are on the same switch and are transferring data, that data has to go from device one to the router, then back down through the switch to device two. And, if that switch is itself on an extension, then I can see transfer speeds being effected.
No. Data flows directly from switch port to switch port. The router is not involved, nor is any other switch.

I see, so you could use a switch just to keep two devices which regularly swap a lot of data between them, separated from the rest of the network.

yes... and if you look at the blinky LEDs on the switch, you'll see ports other than those involved with, say, a big transfer, aren't affected. That's the difference between an ethernet switch and a "hub".

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!