What's new

gnMerlin - Guest Network Isolation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
I am aware of other projects out there that focus on various aspects of the guest network but none really fit my use case. I wanted an easy way to lock down my guest network on my access points not running Asus Mesh and from a simple script, this project was born. It has the added benefit of working on my router without needing to disable "access intranet" in the UI. With gnMerlin DNS, DHCP all still work the same including use of AdGuardHome.

gnMerlin - Guest Network Isolation for ASUS Merlin​

gnMerlin is a shell script designed to isolate guest wireless networks on routers running ASUS Merlin firmware. This script utilizes ebtables to block traffic between the main network and guest networks while allowing communication with the router.

Features​

• Isolates guest networks on selected wireless interfaces.
  • Blocks forwarding of guest traffic, ensuring guest clients can only communicate with the router.
  • Simple CLI interface to manage and configure isolation.
  • Supports update checks and installation of the latest version.
  • Handles custom network interface selection.
  • Option to uninstall and remove all configured rules.

Requirements​

• ASUS Merlin firmware installed on your router.
  • Access to /jffs partition for custom scripts.
  • ebtables installed (can be checked via ebtables -L).

Installation​

1. Download Script
    Download gnMerlin.sh file to a suitable location. Options:
  2. Make Script Executable
    Run the following command to make the script executable:
    chmod +x ./gnMerlin.sh

3. Run Script
    To run the script and configure guest network isolation:
    ./gnMerlin.sh

Usage​

Once the script is running, you will be presented with a menu offering several options:

1. Install or Update Guest Network Isolation
    Configure or update network isolation for your guest interfaces. You can select from available wireless interfaces for isolation. Examples of interfaces:
    • wl0.1 = first guest network on 2.4GHz
    • wl0.2 = second guest network on 2.4GHz
    • wl1.1 = first guest network on 5GHz
    • wl1.1 = second guest network on 5GHz
  2. List All Ebtables Rules
    Display the current ebtables rules and chains.
  3. Delete Ebtables Rules for gnMerlin
    Remove the ebtables rules created by gnMerlin for network isolation.
  4. Flush All Ebtables Rules
    Flush all ebtables rules, including those unrelated to gnMerlin.
  5. Update gnMerlin Script
    Check for new versions of the script and update if available.
  6. Uninstall Guest Network Isolation
    Remove all gnMerlin-related configurations, including the script and any applied rules.

Uninstall​

To uninstall gnMerlin and remove all its rules:

1. Run the script and select the Uninstall Guest Network Isolation option from the main menu.
  2. Alternatively, you can manually delete the script and any related entries from /jffs/scripts/services-start:
    rm /jffs/scripts/gnMerlin.sh
    sed -i '/gnMerlin.sh/d' /jffs/scripts/services-start

Troubleshooting​

• No Wireless Interfaces Found
    Ensure that wireless interfaces on your router match the wl<digit>.<digit> format. The script will only recognize interfaces with this format.
  • Ebtables Not Installed
    If ebtables is not found, install it using your router's package manager, or ensure your firmware includes it.
  • MAC Address or Gateway Not Found
    The script relies on your router's default gateway and ARP table to configure forwarding exceptions. Ensure your router is properly configured and has an active network.

Versioning​

This project follows Semantic Versioning (SemVer). For the available versions, see the tags on this repository.

License​

This project is licensed under the GNU General Public License v3.0. See the LICENSE file for details.

Contact​

For any issues or suggestions, feel free to open an issue on the GitHub repository or contact me directly.

Last edited:
Reserved post

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!