What's new

Going from 6Mb/512kb DSL to 16Mb/2Mb Cable modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good luck! I went from 768k/128k dsl to 7mb/512k Cable a few weeks ago. I wish it was a little more consistent but other than that it's been a good experience so far.

Enjoy! I recently moved, and so went from a building where only 1.5M/768k DSL was available, to one where 7.1M/768k DSL is available. The difference is like night and day, especially when downloading large files but even when just browsing the web normally; web pages on fast servers seem to load nearly instantaneously now!

Cable was an option for me even at the old place, and certainly would have been much faster than my old 1.5M/768k DSL, but it's so much more expensive than DSL that it's just not worth it, at least in my area (especially if one does not watch any television), and if there's one good thing about DSL, it's that it is consistent! There's no competition for the bandwidth among all your neighbors with DSL as there is with Cable.

That said, you're now going to a speed unavailable over phone lines without FIOS. I'd be curious to hear if you feel a big difference going from an already-fast DSL speed to an even faster Cable speed.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!