What's new

Good ida for creating additional IP address ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dexgreen

New Around Here
Hi all,

If I want to have a separate IP address for my desktop that I use solely for home use and a different IP address for my business laptop, is the following a good way of doing it ...

1. I add a splitter to the coaxial cable that goes into my current modem.
2. I connect one cable to my current modem (for my desktop) and another to an extra modem I have which will go to my laptop.
3. I call Comcast to let them know what I am doing and make sure the second modem is in their system

Do I now have 2 separate IP addresses ? is there a better way of doing this ?

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

Hi,
Do you have a router or only modem?

I currently have a modem and separate router and its working great. I have an extra modem and extra router lying around collecting dust and thought that I would add the splitter and connect a cable to the second modem and probably not even bother with the 2nd router as I already have wireless. Will I indeed have 2 separate public IP addresses (one for the laptop and one for the desktop). I am in the process of calling Comcast and tearing my hair out trying to explain to them what I am doing ?

Hi,
Probably(most likely) you get only one IP for your subscription. For
another IP, they will charge you extra. Also splitters attenuate signal.

The purpose of a router is to take ONE public IP and then assign multiple (255) private IPs to connected devices so they can all connect to the Internet or each other on the LAN.

Perhaps if you explain in detail why you need two IPs other posters on this site can advise you if getting two public IPs is your best solution.

Unless you pay Comcast for one or more static public IPs you will not be able to reliably connect to your network from the Internet (WAN) because every so often you will be assigned a new public IPs. Static IPs are not normally assigned by ISPs. If you want to connect to your network from the WAN and don't have static IPs you will have to use a DynamicDNS service.

Some business class service agreements have multiple public IPs, e.g., 5 or so. The modem doesn't care how many there are.

A business class router would support multiple IPs and allow for routes between certain LAN ports or VLANs to go to certain public IPs. I've worked some with these at the residential user level, for folks that want their business data totally isolated.

As said above, to avoid $$$ business class, with 2+ IPs, it is likely prudent to just pay for two consumer class cable modems and two routers, with separate LANs.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!