What's new

Google Fiber and RT-AC68R Running ASUSWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tydyn Rain St. Clair

Occasional Visitor
So I just scheduled the installation of Google Fiber for July 9th, and until that time I have to figure out how to be able to assign the public WAN IP address to my router, and get the maximum throughput possible. The preferred setup would be to plug my router into the Google Fiber network box and find a way to do IP Passthrough to give my router the public WAN IP. The less preferred method, if I can't get the first one working, is to remove the network box and plug my router directly into the Fiber Jack.

I have heard from a few sources that there are ways to do some sort of IP Passthrough or Bridging with the network box, but I so far have not found any clear information as to exactly how to do this. I know it is possible to connect my router directly to the Fiber Jack, but the information available on how to correctly do the VLAN tagging, QoS/CoS settings, etc... varies quite a bit from source to source, which leaves me in a bit of confusion.

Has anyone here successfully either been able to configure IP Passthrough or Bridging with the network box, or to connect their routers directly to the Fiber Jack and gotten the VLAN tagging and QoS/CoS settings working correctly (either through settings via the web GUI or JFFS scripts, or a combination of the 2) to where they are getting reasonable throughput?

I am determined to make this work, but I could definitely use some assistance from those who have already successfully done it.

Can't believe that Google doesn't have information available on how to connect to their fiber. Google's support on their commercial enterprises like Project Fi is great, why not tap into Google's support resources? If there's anyone here that can answer your questions, that would be fine, too, but if it were me I'd be looking to Google to find out how to do this.