What's new

GS-AX3000 "semi-forgets" some wifi devices after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwp

Regular Contributor
I have 14 devices on the 2.4Ghz wifi, 3 on 5Ghz, and 4 wired connections. All of these devices have manually assigned IPs. I have many identical devices in the 14 that are on the 2.4Ghz wifi.

I reboot the router every night at 4:30AM via the basic, admin configuration. After the reboot, all of the 2.4Ghz devices show in the router's admin page as connected with good signal. And I can ping all of them and can browse to the devices' admin pages via their IP addresses.

But despite this, after the reboot, I often end up with some of the identical devices on the 2.4Ghz wifi appear to NOT have the UDP packets they send to an internet server being delivered. At the same time, all of the other identical devices are working as expected (and so too are all other connected devices).

So with some of these affected identical devices in this state, I decided to run tcpdump on the router and view the results in Wireshark. While tcpdump was running, I pinged the identical devices and browsed to their admin pages via their IP addresses. All seemed to be working fine. But when I reviewed the results in Wireshark, I discovered that there were no packets whatsoever, recorded for any of the affected devices. Of course, this was NOT the case with the unaffected devices.

It seems there should have been at least ICMP and browser/TCP packets even if there was some issue with the UDP in these devices. What does this mean? What could be happening? It appears that the router is semi-forgetting these devices!

I also discovered that after I reboot the affected devices via their admin pages in a browser, they suddenly begin working properly again and, of course, the packets all start showing up again in tcpdump/Wireshark.

I am completely stumped. Thanks for any suggestions...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!