What's new

GT-AX11000 not powerful enough for SMB streaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello!

When using uPnP it works fine, but with Samba the 1080p video stops after 10-20 seconds every time.

uPnP and samba are two totally different things.

If video is stopping from streaming then it’s more likely a bitrate issue than anything. I would suggest using Plex or jellyfin so your videos get transcoded to the limits of your network speed at home or the network speed of your remote connection. Some movies can have a 10,000 kbps (10Gbps) bitrate stream and that would well exceed most home internet wan or lan.

You can also preemptively transcode your videos by using Handbrake and setting the bitrate. x265 and x264 are good options x265 has better compression meaning smaller files at great quality if set to slowest transcode. Setting the framerate to 30 and the bitrate to 2000 for 1080p tv shows or 2500 for 1080p movies. 3500 bitrate for 4K resolution. If it’s a fresh video that hasn’t been transcoded multiple times you can probably lower the bitrates more without significant loss to quality.

Hope that helps.

... Some movies can have a 10,000 kbps (10Gbps) bitrate stream and that would well exceed most home internet wan or lan.
10Gbps??
That's likely to be an unintentional typo, or your math ain't "mathing" LOL! ;)

10,000 Kbps = 10Mbps
(1,000,000 Kbps = 1Gbps)
;)

10Gbps??
That's likely to be an unintentional typo, or your math ain't "mathing" LOL! ;)

10,000 Kbps = 10Mbps
(1,000,000 Kbps = 1Gbps)
;)

😂 it’s late. 1250000 MBps or 10000000 (1e+7) Kbps (10Gbps). Usually not that high but if someone transcodes or records poorly you never know. I’ve seen 1080p / 4K videos excess of 25GB+ size at x264 either they have a ridiculously high framerate, a high bitrate, or low compression or fast transcoded. Resolution plays a big part, and does the codec. For example Mpeg4 is about 2x worse than x264 in efficiency. X265 they say is 10-15% better than x264 or 50% saving of bitrate, but I don’t know the exact number (just googled and that’s roughly what I read.)

Personally I like files to be at or below 1GB or at most upwards of 6GB if 4K.

4K “HDR” can also wreak havoc on older devices. So if you don’t want or have a HDR display changing the colour range to Rec.BT.709 non HDR is sometimes better, but formally HDR content might look washed in blacks because under HDR black would be off/near off per pixel. In OLED displays this would be the case.

Last edited:
uPnP and samba are two totally different things.

If video is stopping from streaming then it’s more likely a bitrate issue than anything. I would suggest using Plex or jellyfin so your videos get transcoded to the limits of your network speed at home or the network speed of your remote connection. Some movies can have a 10,000 kbps (10Gbps) bitrate stream and that would well exceed most home internet wan or lan.

You can also preemptively transcode your videos by using Handbrake and setting the bitrate. x265 and x264 are good options x265 has better compression meaning smaller files at great quality if set to slowest transcode. Setting the framerate to 30 and the bitrate to 2000 for 1080p tv shows or 2500 for 1080p movies. 3500 bitrate for 4K resolution. If it’s a fresh video that hasn’t been transcoded multiple times you can probably lower the bitrates more without significant loss to quality.

Hope that helps.
Transcoded it to x265 and 2500kbps, and it worked fine. Thanks again :)