What's new

GT-AX6000 problem on assign ip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecatman

Occasional Visitor
GT-AX6000 firmware: 3004.388.7

hello everyone!
i have a problem with the ip assignment to the hp gen8 microserver.
the server mounts ubuntu server v20.04.6, always on 24/7, working as a multimedia archive, dvbt2 streaming with tvheadend, centralized kodi database, music streaming server, monocle server for ipcam alexa. i need to always have the same fixed ip 192.168. 1.150 because all the services connect to that ip. now, the gen8 has 3 lans (1 for ilo, 2 for data transfer), 2 are in redundant bonding configured correctly during the installation of ubuntu (if it were wrong I would not have installed ubuntu) if I set a fixed ip in the ubuntu configuration the server is not seen by the router. if I put it in dhcp then it is seen without problems. then i booked the ip address via manual assignment option in the dhcp menu on the asus router configuration. i have 8 gen8 in lan with the same software configuration but the only one that gives problems is this one. so if i turn on the router first and after a while the server then the ip is assigned correctly, if i were to restart the server it is assigned another ip (and this is not good). in this case i have to turn off the server and router and then turn on the router first and then the server. could you kindly tell me where i am going wrong? thanks.

I forgot to ask why, in the network map of the ásus I see machines with fixed ip assigned as dhcp, machines with network cable assigned as wifi and machines not recognized correctly with chinese names of the smart bulb chips even if they are not. connected in wifi I also have 20 aigostar bulbs.

before I had a rt-ac68u, kept for 5 years without any kind of problem. not even with the server. since I got ax-6000 the network problems started.
I would like to replace it with something equally valid.

I call RT-AC68U "the golden standard". It was the most successful Asus router ever made. Nothing new will come even close to the support duration, firmware development and backward compatibility of this model. New models at the beginning of 3.0.0.6 firmware cycle - good luck.

The problem is not the router or firmware. It is the way you have the network/DHCP configured. I have about a dozen clients on my LAN with static IP addresses and they all show up on the network map and are accessible from other clients on the LAN.
The way I do it is to set the DHCP pool starting address to 192.168.50.20. That leaves me with 17 IP addresses that will not interfere with DHCP.
As you want your Ubuntu server to have a static address of 192.168.1.150, set the IP Pool Ending Address to 192.168.1.149. This will leave you with plenty of DHCP addresses and if needed you can give clients static IP addresses over 192.168.1.151.

Also, it may take a bit of time for the network map to settle in (it can be wonky). Also make sure the Ubuntu server uses the router as its DHCP server.

It is the way you have the network/DHCP configured.

Actually, I have done experiments with static IPs inside and outside of DHCP pool and both work as expected in Asuswrt. The issue is somewhere around multiple network interfaces on the HP server and all the bonding and whatever else is there. I had single NIC board running Ubuntu Server with static IP inside DHCP pool at some point (when testing Unbound/Pi-hole/AdGuard/etc. different configurations to Asuswrt) and it was running properly.

Actually, I have done experiments with static IPs inside and outside of DHCP pool and both work as expected in Asuswrt. The issue is somewhere around multiple network interfaces on the HP server and all the bonding and whatever else is there. I had single NIC board running Ubuntu Server with static IP inside DHCP pool at some point (when testing Unbound/Pi-hole/AdGuard/etc. different configurations to Asuswrt) and it was running properly.
I missed the three NIC boards. Seems like overkill for a home network. OP mentioned a static IP assignment but for which interface? Would guess the two used for data are bonded for fail over with the same IP address (my DS220+ is set up like this). Nothing mentioned about IP assignment for the ILO interface. My guess is he is using DNS servers other than his router and does not have conditional forwarding enabled?

No idea what's going on. This HPE server running multiple services and attached to AIO home router sound like CAT excavator powered by USB power bank to me. I would definitely look for better routing and switching options or at least will attempt simplifying the configuration to what works.

Last edited: