What's new

GT-BE98 Pro: 40,000+ ms ping using Wi-Fi 7 despite 4 Gbps up & down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ceejus

Occasional Visitor
I'm at my wits end here and have no idea what else to try. When I enable Wi-Fi 7 Mode under Connectivity Labs (enabled by default) on my S24 Ultra, I'm able to get 4 Gbps/4 Gbps speeds consistently, but connections take forever. I don't get this result when I turn Wi-Fi 7 Mode off and use Wi-Fi 6E. This happens no matter how close or far away I am from the router; I could have an RSSI of -37 and still get the same 40,000+ ms ping. Oddly, the issue doesn't occur for the first couple of minutes I'm connected. This is the case no matter what band MLO is using. I did notice the issue would occur with MLO off, more frequently on the 6 GHz band but sometimes also on the 5 GHz band as well.

Nothing I'm seeing in the connection indicates why these pings are so insanely high. I get the same result when using 160 MHz-wide channels or 320 MHz-wide channels. I am using PSC channels; I've tried both Auto and setting the channels manually. Under Professional, I have Wi-Fi 7 Mode enabled along with DL/UL OFDMA and DL/UL MU-MIMO.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

It's interesting that you get 4gbps up/down on your S24 Ultra. I have 5gbps up/down Fios and I get only 2.4gbps up/down from my S24 Ultra. On the other hand, the ping delay of > 30sec is something I have never seen even with slow network. I typically get from 5 to 7 ms ping delays using Ookla speed test. What's your ping times from a wired port connection? is that normal < 10ms? It's also worth checking the CPU memory use and load/activity to see any process holding up the CPU.
Enable ssh and log on to the router using ssh and check( eg: ssh admin@asusrouter.com -p 22)

Last edited:
It's interesting that you get 4gbps up/down on your S24 Ultra. I have 5gbps up/down Fios and I get only 2.4gbps up/down from my S24 Ultra. On the other hand, the ping delay of > 30sec is something I have never seen even with slow network. I typically get from 5 to 7 ms ping delays using Ookla speed test. What's your ping times from a wired port connection? is that normal < 10ms? It's also worth checking the CPU memory use and load/activity to see any process holding up the CPU.
Enable ssh and log on to the router using ssh and check( eg: ssh admin@asusrouter.com -p 22)
Pings from a wired port are 5 - 7 ms like yours. The speeds and pings are fast and consistent on everything except for Wi-Fi 7. Something about Wi-Fi 7 specifically is causing an insanely high ping and slow connections despite having around 4 Gbps up/down. I haven't seen anyone else report this issue.

What are your Wi-Fi 7 settings?

Are you sure? 40.000ms is 40s. It will time out before that. Dead connection, basically.
Things will eventually load after about 40 seconds. When I go into Connectivity Labs > Wi-Fi Developer Options > Wi-Fi and Network Diagnosis > Network Diagnosis > Run Connectivity Check on the S24, my HTTP and HTTPS probes are consistently around 10,000+ and 40,000+ ms respectively. Certain apps that load instantly on all other Wi-Fi versions and wired connections take over 40 seconds to load on Wi-Fi 7.

I've tried restarting the Wi-Fi subsystem and wiping the cache partition on the S24. Same result every time. Nothing I'm seeing in the router's logs seems to indicate what's driving this. CPU usage is fine - around 10% average per core.

Are you referring to the PROBE_HTTP & PROBE_HTTPS numbers? Yes I do see them in the range of 40s. However I'm not sure what this number really means.

1717066586119.jpeg

Are you referring to the PROBE_HTTP & PROBE_HTTPS numbers? Yes I do see them in the range of 40s. However I'm not sure what this number really means.
I only get those numbers when I'm experiencing the Wi-Fi 7 issue. Otherwise, those HTTP and HTTPS probes are under 1,000 ms.

This whole situation is bizarre.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!