What's new

GT-BE98 Pro Back It Goes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
So, I've had the GT-BE98 Pro for a few weeks now and it's a huge disappointment.
First, the range/covered area is less than my old trusty AX86U. Of course that doesn't have the 6GHz bands, but the devices I have don't have it either with the exception of a Pixel 8 Pro.
Second, MLO only ever connected the 2.4 and a single 6 to the Pixel. That was some improvement, but why the odd choices of bands? There is nothing at all on the other 6, little traffic on the 5.
Third and most important, devices drop off WiFi on a frequent basis. Noticeable only if you look and see a phone is on 5G or LTE. I also had to wire my TV because of all the disconnects. Doors, irrigation system, etc. All have failures that never happened with any previous ASUS router.

I've done the usual things, forget the SSID on devices where that's possible. Factory reset, install new/different firmware and factory reset. Yeah, the list goes on through default WiFi settings to changing 2.4 settings to match what I used on the 86U.

At this point and for the obscene amount of money it cost, back it goes.

It may get better with new firmware, and of it does I may try again. For now, it isn't ready to take my money.

I couldn't get my AiMesh to connect properly on 6GHz, no matter what I did.
My 2 previous routers (AXE11000 as primary and AXE11000 as node) were able use a 6GHz mesh connection from where they are located.

The new BE98 Pro in the same location, could only ever connect to the AXE11000 as a AiMesh node using 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and would never connect to 6GHz. Even when I selected "6GHz first" in the AiMesh menu, it still only connected to 5GHz.
I know it's not a range issue because I even tried with them right beside each other. For now, I have my AXE11000 setup in repeater mode which is working fine, but is no where near my ideal configuration. I hope and expect the issues with AiMesh to get better with firmware and hopefully I can try again someday soon.

It did take a bit of playing to get all my WiFi devices connected, mostly as you said by duplicating the same settings as my previous AXE11000, but since my last config changes, my 35+ devices have been steady and stable so far, and I am constantly logged into the WebUI checking the status since I got it.
I haven't even tried to play with any MLO features yet, feels too early to try. It's all disabled both in the Guest Network Pro and in the "Wireless" tab.

I'm wondering if the use of MLO being enabled may be part of the cause to why you were seeing "devices drop off WiFi on a frequent basis" as you put it.
I can't fault you for trying, and I can't fault you for sending it back, it is a lot of money to beta test.

You had a x86 box running pfSense (or OPNsense?) at one point. What happened?
I mean technically the OP main router still might be one of those, and wireless network may be Aimesh AP-router parent and Aimesh AP-nodes. From the initial-post, it sounds like the OP was just unsatisfied with the wifi experience. This is typical with the NEW NEW these days.

I still review the database and wonder how some things are done with no injuries. Learning new things every day. 🤭

Not sending it back, waiting for updates... @Viktor Jaep. User manual for some techniques would be nice to have too.
I literally have a 1000 monkeys over here typing shell scripts all day long, and every once in a while they produce something useful that ends in ...MON. 😋

I just want to know what's the apparatus in Extreme repository called. The one used by 3 developers at the same time. 🤪

Don't touch your mouse and I show it to you on your screen. You're alone in the room as per camera view, perhaps okay?

The PTSD does not go away... Lol
No PTSD here, just great times.
I literally have a 1000 monkeys over here typing shell scripts all day long, and every once in a while they produce something useful that ends in ...MON. 😋
Those monkeys are pretty well trained... I could only aspire to be half as good,, someday.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!