What's new

GT-BE98 Pro: No DHCP on Guest Network in AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p1r473

Regular Contributor
Hey, thanks for checking my thread
I have 2 GT-BE98 Pro, 1 as a router with wifi disabled, and 1 as an AP with wifi enabled
I am having trouble getting any DHCP to work on the AP on guest networks.
On the one in router mode, Guest Network Pro has an option "Enable the DHCP server". However this option does not exist in the Guest Network Pro in AP mode, and so my Guests on the AP aren't getting a DHCP IP.

Should I be able to run a Guest Wifi on AP mode, right? Or is this not supported? Im able to create the guest networks on the AP, but they just cant get any DHCP.

Other than Enable DCHP server, some other Guest Network Pro features seem to be missing in AP mode: Hide SSID, Access Intranet, set AP Isolated. I think these are pretty important features for a Guest Network.
Other features, Bandwidth Limiter, as well as VPN tab, are missing, but may not make sense on an AP.

Router mode:
1718852981814.png
1718852995073.png

AP Mode:
1718853015498.png
1718853043527.png

Attachments

• 1718853030443.png
    1718853030443.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 4
Other than Enable DCHP server, some other Guest Network Pro features seem to be missing in AP mode: Hide SSID, Access Intranet, set AP Isolated. I think these are pretty important features for a Guest Network.
An AP only provides wireless connectivity. It does not provide traffic routing, network isolation, name resolution or DHCP assignment as this is a function of the main router, not of an AP. The AP has no way of controlling how routing/isolation is handled by your main router. That's what AiMesh is for.

Gotcha, thanks!
If I were to try it that way, am I able to disable wireless on the AIMesh router and have it only enabled on the AIMesh node?
What Im trying to do is have my main router as only a router, then another router with wireless enabled. The reason being is I want to put a transparent bridge/layer 2 firewall between the 2, so I need all the clients to connect only to the router that has wifi enabled.
So [AIMeshRouter (no wifi)]-----(ethernet)----->[Firewall]--------(ethernet)---------> [AIMesh Node (wifi)]

Last edited:
I don't know, I don't use AiMesh. It's unlikely to work if you put a firewall between the router and the node.

I got it to work! I created the SSID in guest Network pro on the router and set Wi-Fi to 'none'. I then created the exact same guest Network on the AP, and assigned it to the same VLAN as the router

(Reposting this message because I thought it wasn't working so I deleted the message but it actually is working, sorry for repost)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!