What's new

Solved Guest network On VPN on 3004-388.8_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OakleyFreak

Regular Contributor
I just added a VPN service to my router (SurfShark) Wireguard
I have a ASUS AX86U on Merlin 3004-388.8_2

When my IOT devices that are on the Guest network are left on VPN They cant reach the cloud.
Meross plugs and a Moen Smart water leak detector to name a few.

When I use VPN director and send them to WAN they work fine.

I put several IOT devices on my regular network and they work fine with the VPN?
Is this expected behavior?
Thanks

Putting the individual ip of the guest in VPN director to point to the VPN port corrected the issue.
But doesn't explain why my tablet surfed fine connected to guest

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is the problem, but in general, it's best to avoid Guest #1. ASUS changed that guest network to use its own IP networks and bridges (br1 and br2, for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz freqs, respectively) for the benefit of AiMesh, and thus it might explain why they are NOT being routed over the VPN if the routing is based on the private network (e.g., br0, 192.168.1.0/24).

I'm not sure this is the problem, but in general, it's best to avoid Guest #1. ASUS changed that guest network to use its own IP networks and bridges (br1 and br2, for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz freqs, respectively) for the benefit of AiMesh, and thus it might explain why they are NOT being routed over the VPN if the routing is based on the private network (e.g., br0, 192.168.1.0/24).
Thanks I may activate guest 2 and see what happens.

Odd I can connect my tablet to the guest network, and surf fine when VPN is enabled.
I'm wondering if it's a DNS issue

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!