What's new

Guest Network Pro and printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jherb

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I am using an AX86U pro on 3006 firmware. I have a couple of questions about guest network pro with printers, etc.

I've connected a printer to one of the routers ports, and associated that with the same VLAN as the guest network. So the guest network and printer are all on the same subnet, and vlan. When I connect to the guest network, I can use the printer fine.
I would like to be able to print to that printer from the main LAN as well, but I can't in the default state. I'm assuming this is because the printer is on a different subnet. If this is correct, how would I allow the printer to be accessible from the main LAN. Is there some kind of firewall rule I can add to the stock firmware to bridge the two subnets. Ideally, just one way from the main subnet to guest subnet.

I'm just learning about this stuff, so I'm not sure I've assessed this correctly. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Another question regarding guest network pro: How can you reserve a guest address for the printer? The main DHCP reservation page won't accept guest subnets. Perhaps its a limitation?

how would I allow the printer to be accessible from the main LAN
Turn off intranet isolation (LAN > VLAN). But beware. This will allow all devices on your guest subnet to access all devices on your main LAN. There is no way with stock Asus firmware to give a single device on a VLAN intranet access. It is all devices or none.

How can you reserve a guest address for the printer?
With stock asus firmware, there is no way to reserve a DHCP address for a device on a VLAN. You can, however, assign a static IP on your printer within the VLAN range, and your router will use that address. You will need to reboot both router and printer after making the change.

Thank you. The vlan implementation seems quite limited. As far as I can tell, There is no way to allow vlans to talk to each other, or to control granular access to devices within a vlan, etc. This really limits the utility for me, so far.

This really limits the utility for me, so far.
Agreed.

I suggest you use the Router's comment/feedback page to voice your dissatisfaction. I've sent several to Asus about this matter. Perhaps more voices will help the cause.

This is a consumer router after all. Just place the printer on your main LAN like 99% of home users do for convenience.
When I did that, the guest couldn't access it. Even with "intranet access enabled". I'm not sure why.

So far and for many years no one coming to my place and connecting to my isolated Guest Network had the need to use my printers. 🤷‍♂️

The vlan implementation seems quite limited.
Yes the Guest Network Pro in its current form has some limitations. Like others in all my years never had someone connected to my Guest Network need to access my network printer which sits on the main LAN.

If one isn't using AiMesh one could install Asus-Merlin firmware and then run the YazFi guest network addon script. With YazFi there are ways to both set manual IP reservations in addition to using custom scripting to allow YazFi clients to access main LAN clients if/when the YazFi one way to Guest and two way to guest are not what someone needs.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!