What's new

Guest Network - RP-AX58 & RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Valyno

Occasional Visitor
Hello Everyone,

I am running in a strange issue.

I have a main router (AX88U Asus-Merlin) where I have set-up a guest WiFi network.
In the set-up of this guest wifi, I have the option to prevent the devices connecting to the wifi to "see" the devices on my main network "Access Intranet".

I bought yesterday an Asus RP-AX58 to create a wifi access point on a network that has no wifi at the moment.
It is set-up as an access point.
So I have created two wifi network:
- main wifi that will have access to the local network devices for the private use of the owner
- guest wifi network for the guests (!!)
The issue is that in the Wifi guest set-up page, I can't see the option "Access Intranet".
On top of the set-up page, it says
The Guest Network provides Internet connection for guests but restricts access to your local network.
However, once I have created the guest access, if I connect to it with my laptop, I am still able to access my NAS and see all local devices.
Not cool for security...
The RP-58 is connected to the network with RJ45 cable.

Back to my AX88U router, where I also have a guest wifi: in the guest set-up page, I do have the option "Access Intranet" to prevent access to my local network.
Out of curiosity, I went into my other Asus RT-58U router that is set as an access point o extend my wifi coverage in my house (main router being the AX88U), and surprise, here I have no option either for "Access Intranet".
Both the AX88U and the AX58U are running Asus-Merlin. The AX58U is also connected to the home network by RJ45. I am not using AiMesh because it was not working properly.

Is it normal, am I missing something?
The thing is: in the office where I plan to set-up the access point (RP-AX58), there is no pre-existing Asus wifi router, so no AiMesh possible. It is only a main router, a switch and the AP will be connected on the switch.
I am surprise to see that the "Intranet Access" option is available only on specific reference of routers and not all of them.

I thank you in advance for your comments.
Valyno

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!