What's new

Guest networks, vlans and tomato

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulttt

New Around Here
Hi people, I'm new and not really sure what section this should go in.

I have recently purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U router that I intend on using as my primary router. In another area of the home I have an Linksys e4200v1 that is flashed with tomato RAF. The ASUS is fed with a virgin media modem connected to the WAN port.

I have connected them both using a long ethernet cable, and have kept the ASUS router at 192.168.1.1, and the Linksys is set to 192.168.1.2, so I can access the admin pages without hassle. I have also disabled DHCP on the Linksys and all machines in the home can connect to the Wi-Fi on either router.

When I was using the Linksys as my primary I had 2 SSIDs set up on two different subnets. 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx. and the connections bridged so a guest could use the wireless without being able to touch the LAN connections or interact with the 192.168.1.xxx traffic.

The guest network is still broadcast and can be connected to, however there is no internet connection. Does anyone have any idea on how I can sort this issue?

The main reason for doing things this way is that the ASUS guest networks don't have the bandwith restriction facilities that Tomato has, but want to keep the ASUS router flashed with ASUSWRT, to take full advantage of the load balancing feature later down the line.

I have tried following a few guides but none have them seem to have worked.

HELP! PLEASE! :)

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!