What's new

Guide to using vpn with unbound dns?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack-Sparr0w

Regular Contributor
Just need a quick guide to fix leak test results with open vpn and unbound, its showing isp. New to this program and not to sure how to add vpn bind in options. I cant find advanced section in this program, any help if possible. Just need picture by picture setup if its alright. (Screenshots)

I found option, one more thing before I go. whats the best vpn setting for accept dns configuration, I'm using strict atm with no diversion.

Granted it's quite lengthy, but there's a boatload of relevant information about DNS support in the router in the following thread (including the DNSMON utility).

I'm pretty sure there are discussions regarding the VPNs and DNS specifically (there's a lot of twists and turns the farther you get into the thread). And I recall other threads around that same time where I specifically discussed the VPN DNS settings and their implications.

DNS is a *very* complex topic when it comes to the router. There are just too many options to consider in a single post, esp. when you now throw in the OpenVPN client DNS options on top of it all. IIRC, I don't think the DNS Director was an option at that time; it's new, further complicating matters.

P.S. IMO, DNS in the router is way, way, overly complicated. It's gotten ridiculous frankly. Even I can't keep up w/ it anymore. Fifteen/twenty years ago, it was blissfully simple.

Last edited:
Just need a quick guide to fix leak test results with open vpn and unbound, its showing isp. New to this program and not to sure how to add vpn bind in options. I cant find advanced section in this program, any help if possible. Just need picture by picture setup if its alright. (Screenshots)
Here is one way (or actually 2 ways) to do it:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/Wire...p-transmission-andor-unbound-to-use-wg-client
Atleast from unbound and onwards.
It's written for wgm but it would work the same using vpndirector with ovpn.

Note: you still need to take care of everything between your client and router, like dns privacy prevention and make sure clients are not allowed to use any other dns.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!