What's new

Have merline can it help with printing and Wake on lan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goosequeen

New Around Here
I have the rt-ac66r asus router and installed the latest merlin.

1. I have the kids login to the guest network with intranet disabled so they don't mess with my cams and backup servers etc.
But they can't print to the hp all in one. IT is connected via Ethernet.
IT works fine for me of course because I am on separate wireless that has intranet access. Is there a way I can have them print to the HP?

2. How can I make it so my pcs wake up when they are asleep when I try to REmote desktop into them. Not sure if it is a port or a setting. The card is set to wake up etc.

Thanks for your help.

For the second question you can set the router interface to be accessible from WAN (system settings). Then you can login to your touter using DDNS or your IP if static and use the WOL page. Another way is to use Asus AI app on smartphone to wake up you pc by touching the offline PC icon. Or also accessing to Ai Cloud web login as for first option but using https://yourip (or DDNS).

Wake on lan (WOL) is usually only available through a wired connection. There is some functionality called WoWLAN (wake on wireless lan) but its support is limited. Note that it is the card that supports it or not, there is no change on the firmware that will make a wireless card wake a computer that does not have WoWLAN as far as I know.

I use port forwarding on the router to forward the wake on lan port to the desired computer. It is nice to use a dedicated IP address for this, which is set up on the lan adapter of the client computer. I have multiple computers I RDP into on my network, and each has its own wake on lan port AND RDP port. Changing the RDP port can be googled, but I would get it working first before you mess around with the RDP port.

You can use Rmerlin to wake on lan, but you don't have to, you can also use a GUI like this-
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx
It is handy if you don't want to log into your router each time you use it, there is also a commannd line wake on lan download-
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx
The command line is nice because it can be incorporated into a batch file.

I do have a set of batch files that will wake and sign into a computer via rdp. Do you have WOL and RDP working? Once you have that working I can help you set up the batch files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!