What's new

Help choosing cable router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Ryan

Regular Contributor
hi, i need help picking a new router, i currently use the superhub 2ac but want something that will improve the wireless range and speed throughout the house, here's a list of activities for the router

1. web browsing
2. online gaming
3. newsgroups and torrents
4. wireless printing
5. streaming (netflix, amazon, kodi, live football)

there will be anything upto 20 wireless devices and 3 wired devices connected at once

here are the devices i'm considering

1. NETGEAR R7500
2. ASUS RT-AC88U

oh and one last thing i must be able to turn off all the lights on it

You're not going to get much better than what you have at the moment - so focus, if possible, putting the Superhub 2AC in an ideal location to cover most of your devices...

If you're in a smallish flat, you've got more than enough already...

i live in a terraced house, all upstairs is fine but some rooms downstairs the signal strength does

might consider picking up an N600 class (or AC1200 class) AP to light up the rooms downstairs perhaps connected via ethernet

sh2ac is upstairs and can't be relocated downstairs so can't use ethernet downstairs as its too far, with the current setup i can get either range or speed but not both together which i thought i would with a dedicated router

The ac88U has 8 ports but i havent tested broadcom's ethernet if it has more than 1Gb/s link to the CPU. RMerlin says the ports are CPU connected.

as long as it uses the 2nd gen MU-MIMO if it is one, otherwise it will do fine. What makes tp-link cheaper is that they use lower to midrange chipsets (i.e. 800mhz instead of 1.2Ghz broadcom) and that they only have basic features. So it really depends on what you need. ASUS has a lot of features in their firmware. As long as it is not quantenna it will be fine.

In terms of wifi only slight differences if they use the same chip so it goes down to antennas and design.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!