What's new

Help Choosing Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sm30

New Around Here
I currently have a D-Link DIR-655 router. It has lasted me 7 years and never had any major issues with it. I am looking to replace it with something better and would like it to last a while like my current router. So reliability and quality is on top of my list as I don't want a router that will die out on me in 1-2 years.

I am in a 1700 sq. ft. home with 2 floors and a basement. The router will be in the basement. My internet connection is 60Mbps download / 10Mbps upload. I currently have 5 wired devices and 4 wireless devices.

Here are the two routers on my list:

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000
TP-Link Archer C2600

Which one should I go with? Pros/Cons, advantages/disadvantages etc.?

So reliability and quality is on top of my list as I don't want a router that will die out on me in 1-2 years.
unfortunately no one can guarantee this and as long as its gets through warranty thats all you can expect

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000

certainly this is a very good wireless router

TP-Link Archer C2600

you dont have the wireless clients to take the extra speed that this would deliver over the r7000 so it would be a waste and the gui and fw are not as good

home with 2 floors and a basement. The router will be in the basement.

worst place you could have the router imho and expecting any single wifi transmission will have issues covering such

I just picked up the R7000 after trying several others.. Think I'll stay with this. I sent back an Asus AC68P because I thought there was something wrong with it.. (i still may have a cable modem issue).
The R7000 gives just as much range as the ASUS.. A linksys 6900 (also going back) I was trying did not have as much range as the ASUS and R7000...came very close and was much cheaper. ..confirming what we read here.

I guess I agree with folks here...basement seems an odd place if you have 3 floors. I have 2 floors and the router downstairs ...I do most of my computer work down there... that may change . Only the far bedrooms switch to 2.4 for the phones. Computer can get the 5G from the netgear and asus in those rooms but not the linksys (again just confirming the SNB testing on this site).

Any recent router would be fast enough as long as it has at least a 32 bit 600mhz MIPS CPU. All thats left is to get one that has the wifi features and capabilities that you want.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online