What's new

Help to select a router and nodes to build an AiMesh network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asnus

New Around Here
Hello everyone I would like to build an AiMesh network.

Network Configuration
  • Modem:
    • Connected to the main router via a network cable.
  • Main Router (R):
    • Connected to the modem via a network cable.
    • PC: Connected to the router via a network cable.
  • Nodes:
    • Node 1: Connected to the router wirelessly (8m distance, thick wall).
    • Node 2: Connected to the router wirelessly (12m distance, 2 thick walls).
    • Node 3: Connected to the router via a network cable (distance about 35m).
    • Node 4: Connected to Node 3 via a network cable (distance about 30m).
Please look at the diagram -> https://iili.io/dI5ET4S.png

Additional Information:
  • Connecting Node 1 and Node 2 via cable is not possible.
  • The house is two-level, but currently, internet is needed only on the ground level. Future plans include extending the internet to the second level.
  • Current internet speed: 600/100 Mbps, expected to upgrade to at least 1000/200 Mbps in the coming years.

Proposed Equipment:
  1. Main Router:
    • ASUS TUF-AX6000 ($170)
    • Other Considerations:
      • Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 ($220)
    • ASUS RT-AX88U PRO ($270) - way more expensive.
  2. Nodes:
    • ASUS RT-AX53U ($65 each)

What are your opinions about the selected router, nodes and the connections? I want to cover the largest area with reasonable speed transfer.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Unless you are flashing the TUF-AX6000 with openwrt, skip it and get something else. Your third choice of AX88u Pro is good.

Personally I would only pick routers that launched with 3.0.0.6 firmware. Consumer side - upcoming wifi 7 models: RT-BE58U, RT-BE86URT-BE88U. Business side - any experwifi model

You don't mention what devices, how many, if you need vlans, etc.

Unless you are flashing the TUF-AX6000 with openwrt, skip it and get something else.
Is the default software in the TUF-AX6000 that bad?

Your third choice of AX88u Pro is good.

The ASUS RT-AX88U PRO is a little too expensive. Do you have any recommendations for up to $200 USD

You don't mention what devices, how many, if you need vlans, etc.

I need a router for up to 20 devices like TVs, laptops, and smartphones. I don't need VLANs, and it will be only for home use.

Will never be supported by Merlin which a lot of people here use. You may never use Merlin and find the default asus firmware great.

RT-AX86U PRO exists and should be $200.

Okay, I will take into consideration the RT-AX86U PRO and the RT-AX88U PRO.

But putting aside Merlin firmware, can the TUF-AX6000 be considered a good choice?

Do you have any other advice? What about nodes? Will the RT-AX53U be a good choice as a node?

GT-AX6000 is a great choice with its two 2.5 Gbps ports (one LAN, one WAN/LAN). It is very similar to RT-AX88U Pro. 2.5 Gbps WAN port essential with planned ISP upgrade. I would check EOL dates before committing to RT-AX53U.

Okay, I will take into consideration the RT-AX86U PRO and the RT-AX88U PRO.

But putting aside Merlin firmware, can the TUF-AX6000 be considered a good choice?

Do you have any other advice? What about nodes? Will the RT-AX53U be a good choice as a node?
It should work and function with the default asus firmware.

Firmware shows nine updates so Asus is making sure it works:

If you choose the TUF-AX6000, my recommendation is TUF-AX6000, TUF-AX4200, or RT-AX59u's as nodes.

Do you have any advice?

Don't plan AiMesh or any other consumer "mesh" with 5 routers, nodes, satellites or whatever the marketing calls them. You'll be coming back with issues no one can help you with. Research and plan small business system with APs instead. Wireless mesh options are available as well.

Don't plan AiMesh or any other consumer "mesh" with 5 routers. You'll be coming back with issues no one can help you with.
Not necessarily true...

this is not the Asus sub-forum - please post appropriately...
Thank you for moving my post to the correct category.

Don't plan AiMesh or any other consumer "mesh" with 5 routers, nodes, satellites or whatever the marketing calls them. You'll be coming back with issues no one can help you with. Research and plan small business system with APs instead. Wireless mesh options are available as well.
Do you have anything specific in mind? As far as I know, it's not a problem for Asus AiMesh to have five or more nodes.

If you choose the TUF-AX6000, my recommendation is TUF-AX6000, TUF-AX4200, or RT-AX59u's as nodes.

I'm once again stretching my budget ;/ I don't require anything spectacular from my WiFi. In my country, the prices are as follows:
  • RT-AX53U for 65$
  • RT-AX57 for 82$
  • RT-AX58U for 93$
  • RT-AX59U for 116$
Before, I wanted to keep everything within ~$420 (1 router + 4 nodes). But I can stretch it to $500. And maybe it's worth staying with the TUF-AX6000 ($170) and buying better nodes like the RT-AX57 or RT-AX58U

Do you have anything specific in mind?

Nothing within your budget, unfortunately. I personally would invest more for small business Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada hardware. They both have good selection of ceiling, wall plate, outdoor access points with PoE power on relatively affordable price. No sticking out ugly antennas, no hanging off walls power adapters, more configuration and tuning options, expected better long term support, possible better roaming assist, possible future expandability. Both require a bit more networking knowledge to setup, but nothing too scary and tutorials are available online.

As far as I know, it's not a problem for Asus AiMesh to have five or more nodes.

If you read Asus advertisements AiMesh is the best you can get in networking. The reality is a bit different. Mix and match of different routers with different SoC manufacturer and running different firmware with wired and wireless backhaul on top may not work as well as you hope. AiMesh is a marketing term of wired access points or wireless repeaters with very limited control and using all the same channels. No per device Tx power control, no different channels option for wired APs, throughput cut in half for clients connected to dual-band wireless repeaters due to retransmissions, etc. Not all AiMesh compatible products work well together. You can test your luck, but don't expect "seamless roaming", future expandability and long term support with the budget models you are looking at. You are basically purchasing expendable hardware for next 2-3 years before it lands on End-of-Life list.

Last edited:
Router + Zenwifi xd4 plus OR zenwifi xd5.

Router + cheaper range extenders: