What's new

Help with 2 routers and cable modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RipD

New Around Here
It's possible I'm an idiot - that's how I'm feeling right now.

I have a cable modem for Comcast that of course has Ethernet out. I run that into a D-Link DIR-655 (1.34NA) when then goes to an ASUS RT-N56U in AP mode. (I'll explain below.)

I'm finding a few issues. The most perplexing is that I can't get website blocking on the DIR-655 to work. It could not be simpler - go into setup and block sites. For example, I added youtube.com and www.youtube.com. Then rebooted. I can still access youtube. I know there are some issues with the firmware, but I'm wondering if there's another issue with how I have things configured.

Some background: all my Ethernet and cable is in an access panel in the garage. I use the DIR-655 as a router to connect the cables I need and a security camera. One of those runs to the Asus router which I use for wireless.

Why am I using two routers? I have 3-story house and need to get my wireless on the middle floor to get good connectivity. Wireless from the Asus is far better than from the D-link.

Rather than spending time on this, should I just toss the d-link router and get a wired-only router? Or use the Asus + a wireless extender?

Try disabling IPv6 on the Netgear to possibly fix your website blocking problem. Most home routers don't have the ability to block IPv6 youtube, etc..

Most home routers only have the ability to block IPv4 sites.

Most home routers only have the ability to block IPv4 sites.

That's a big help - never considered IPv6 issues. I have rev A of the DIR-655 - it has no IPv6 support. Guessing it's time to look a newer wired router or figure out how to get my wireless working better with my Asus.