What's new

Help with isolating camera and IoT networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jhv

New Around Here
Hi, I need some help with understanding how to create isolated networks at home to seperate cameras and IoT devices from the main network. I currently have an ASUS RT-AX82U as the main router connecting to my isp and an ASUS DSL-AC68U connected to the main router as a mesh node to give improve wifi coverage in an area that previously had reduced signal strength. The AC68U used to be the main router until our isp upgraded the connection from FTTN to FTTP. The network as it is now works great with almost no trouble at all, however I just purchased a few ip cameras to monitor the house when we go away and lots of googling later I find myself confused and also concerned the current setup is not secure enough.

From my research it seems that the cameras should be isolated from the main network and this also led to learning that IoT devices should also be isolated. My router doesn’t support vlans except for the guest networks which are not ideal. For now I have temporarily connected the cameras to the guest network so they are operational for our upcoming trip. I don’t yet have an NVR setup, the cameras each record locally onto a micro sd card and I am able to access them from their phone app both from my main home network and also when away from home. They are tp-link Tapo cameras and the associated phone app. As a test I setup zoneminder on a spare Linux laptop and connected it to one of the cameras. Zoneminder could access the feed if the camera was connected to the main network but with the laptop and the camera both on the guest network zoneminder could not access the feed, which I expected since the guest network doesn’t allow devices to talk to each other.

I could use some help, perhaps with a simple diagram, to visualise how the network should look for it to work. Attached is a very simple drawing of how I think it should look but I don’t know if I’m on the right track.
Network.png

The Camera and IoT networks would somehow be isolated from the main router but those devices would still need access to the internet and I would need to access the camera feeds. The items in pink currently don’t exist in my home network and the cameras are temporarily connected to the guest wifi network of the main router. The plan is to disable the camera wifi and connect them through PoE to the NVR through a PoE switch if the NVR doesn’t have PoE ports or is a software NVR running on a laptop.

Sorry if I am unclear, after several long days of searching the internet trying to crease my network knowledge my brain is kind of scrambled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you still have the AC68U, install FT (FreshTomato) firmware and daisy-chain that router to the primary router to support your IOT/Camera networks. This effectively gives you VLAN support since you get the default VLAN (vlan1) of the secondary router, plus any additional VLANs you chose to define on that same router (vlan2 is used by the WAN, so vlan3, vlan4, etc.). You can also create additional VAPs (virtual APs) and bridges (the default is br0, containing vlan1 and the eth1 (2.4GHz) and eth2 (5GHz) APs, so br1, br2, etc.) and freely associate the VLANs and APs/VAPs as you see fit amongst those bridges. Finally, install firewall rules on the AC68U to deny access to the private, upstream IP network of the main network, while still allowing access to its WAN for internet access.

The items in pink currently don’t exist in my home network

Check the NVR specs. Most have Camera Network already isolated from Control Network, the port you connect to your router. For IoT use Guest Network, good enough. Drawback - you have to control your IoT devices over Internet (WAN) because you’ll lose local access to them (LAN). The security precautions will impact your own user experience.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!