What's new

Help with setting up Asus AC68U properly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BooFA1010

New Around Here
I bought an Asus AC68U. I did the quick internet setup. I find the speeds pretty terrible and the wifi coverage really bad (it is the same as my old router). I have it bridged with my Rogers modem. Is there something I can do to help with everything? I live in a townhouse so coverage shouldnt be that big of a problem

maybe nets around you are using up the same frequencies. I have not tried but will look into ampedwireless.com to get a free version of inSSIDer to scan around you which channels/frequencies are used so you can use an uncommon one. When you say results are terrible, what are you getting? What are your speeds you received from your ISP? Are you losing connectivity?

Sorry what I meant by terrible is 38mbps download and 3mbps upload. The reason I saw terrible is because its the same as the cheap modem/router Rogers provided to me. I just thought I would get alot more speed by upgrading my router.

Sorry what I meant by terrible is 38mbps download and 3mbps upload. The reason I saw terrible is because its the same as the cheap modem/router Rogers provided to me. I just thought I would get alot more speed by upgrading my router.

Seems like you're limited on the broadband/WAN connection - perhaps it's the DSL modem itself?

I would reach out to their customer care team

sfx

Are the devices connecting to your wifi all same chipset rating? For example...b,g,n, ac? If one device is on older or slower chipset, then your wireless signal will pull the slower speed. Can you give more detail on what devices you're using for wifi?

Are the devices connecting to your wifi all same chipset rating? For example...b,g,n, ac? If one device is on older or slower chipset, then your wireless signal will pull the slower speed. Can you give more detail on what devices you're using for wifi?

I am using the Rogers Hitron CGN2-ROG modem/router.
I am using the inSSIDer program and it says no wifi interferences found

The reason I saw terrible is because its the same as the cheap modem/router Rogers provided to me. I just thought I would get alot more speed by upgrading my router.

Seems like you're limited on the broadband/WAN connection - perhaps it's the DSL modem itself?

I would reach out to their customer care team

sfx

Before blaming your old router it might be a good idea to remove it from the picture altogether and connect directly to the Rogers modem/router to see what you get.

That way when you reach out to Rogers there is nothing else in the way that could cause issues.

Before blaming your old router it might be a good idea to remove it from the picture altogether and connect directly to the Rogers modem/router to see what you get.

That way when you reach out to Rogers there is nothing else in the way that could cause issues.

The Rogers modem is a Router/modem in one. I have disabled the router part of the modem by following some steps online on how to bridge a different router to it

I bought an Asus AC68U. I did the quick internet setup. I find the speeds pretty terrible and the wifi coverage really bad (it is the same as my old router).
I'm sad that WiFi product marketers (not just ASUS) do these sales cycles. Saturate the market with 11g. Then hype up 11n and do it again, with more costly products. And again with 11ac, where the improvement is nearly nill for the average consumer. But the price for a WiFi router is pushing $200 whereas a $50 product is just fine more most people. But on this forum we find the tinkerers and that's fine, it not about value when you tinker.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!