What's new

Help with setting up n66r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Swolenator

New Around Here
So I recently upgraded to an sb6141 modem and an asus n66r router as well as to comcast blast or blast plus. I was wondering if someone could tell me what settings I need to put in my router. Currently it is setup basic but I was wondering if I should setup qos for gaming and the ipv6 thingy.

My main pc is wired to the router and then we have directv home networking connected to the router wired as well. Only an ipad, iphone and a printer connect via wireless. I did a speedtest and got http://www.speedtest.net/result/2672017416.png

But mainly I want to know what I should put in for the Qos, the proper way to portforward for bf3 ports (I play on pc and have no consoles), and whether or not I need to setup the ipv6 info in the router and what information I need. I have seen the asus guide things but was hoping someone could help me more and I saw something about for ports need static ip but I think mine is dynamic. Also I have an hp1102w printer that will not connect I tried adding it manually as well as plugging it into the router and pc but no dice.

It is just games seem kind of laggy lately when I first got it there was a huge improvement now it seems to have the same pings and speeds but lags more.

I don't know about your other questions, but regarding ipv6 - just ignore it unless you have clear information from your ISP that you are required to use it. Many ISPs have ipv6 beta programs but you usually have to request to be on one or you have to purposefully subscribe to an ipv6 service, so you would know if you need ipv6.

well i know when I go to my modem status page it says configuration modem's ip mode ipv6 only whatever that means.

just don't enable IPv6. Ignore it.

probably don't need port-forwarding for games. The game console should be handled automatically by the router- via "port triggering".
QoS vs. gaming... not worth the trouble. Your latency is governed by things beyond your control - assuming you DO NOT use WiFi for gaming.

so I shouldn't worry about setting any of that stuff up then? I did firmware upgrade the router the other day and noticed the second and third light on my sb6141 modem changed from green to blue so I guess it is now bonded channels does that make a difference? i connect pc to router wired and usually only battlefield games I need to open ports.

my modem status page now says.
DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Not started
DOCSIS Ranging Not started
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Not started
Establish Time Of Day Not started
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Not started
Register Connection Not started
Cable Modem Status Offline
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

but the signal status page now all has bonded channels which before there was only like 3 or so I think bonded.

Last edited:
my modem status page now says.
DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Not started
DOCSIS Ranging Not started
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Not started
Establish Time Of Day Not started
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Not started
Register Connection Not started
Cable Modem Status Offline
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

Obviously something wrong there, it's acting like it's disconnected. The fact that you were online at the time means it's outdated or in error though.

but the signal status page now all has bonded channels which before there was only like 3 or so I think bonded.

That is significant and could explain your problems. You don't necessarily need all channels to achieve the speed you're paying for (just one provides 42.88 Mbps) but the fact that your modem couldn't bond with all the channels means you may have line problems. Your signal should be better now that all channels are bonded, but you may want to look into this further. In particular, look at your signal and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) levels. You can find what these should be for your modem and ISP online and if they're out of spec, call your ISP.

well based on this page I think they are what they are supposed to be. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

I think it may be connected to some switches not sure as we used to have it for the TV (no longer use for tv)as well.

Here are my logs, signals, and status.
status http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7736/statusmodem.jpg

snr http://imageshack.us/a/img835/6984/snrstatus.jpg

logs(not sure if matters but I cut out the Mac ids) But they all have this at the end CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0 One Mac id is CM which matches what it lists for me the other is cmts.

Apr 30 2013 13:18:02 3-Critical R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0

Apr 27 2013 07:44:00 6-Notice N/A MDD Recovery following MDD Loss CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Apr 27 2013 07:43:56 3-Critical T05.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

Apr 27 2013 07:43:56 5-Warning T202.0
Lost MDD Timeout

Apr 27 2013 07:43:56 5-Warning N/A DS Partial Service Fallback: MDD Lost-> CM in DOCSIS 3.0 Recovery Mode

Apr 27 2013 07:43:50 3-Critical T05.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

Apr 27 2013 07:42:15 3-Critical R04.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

Apr 26 2013 21:18:14 6-Notice I502.0 Received REG-RSP while in REG-HOLD1 state

Apr 26 2013 21:17:10 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1

Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot due to power reset

Apr 23 2013 15:51:35 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

The received reg-rsp and mimo event ones appeared a couple times more as well.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

I think it may be connected to some switches not sure as we used to have it for the TV (no longer use for tv)as well.

You mean splitters? Yes, remove any unneeded splitters in the modem line for sure. If there are signal issues and a tech is called only to discover the problem is a splitter inside your house you usually get charged for the call.

Apr 27 2013 07:43:56 3-Critical T05.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

Apr 27 2013 07:43:56 5-Warning N/A DS Partial Service Fallback: MDD Lost-> CM in DOCSIS 3.0 Recovery Mode

Apr 27 2013 07:43:50 3-Critical T05.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

I'm not familiar with log entries but these ones don't look good at all...your modem went offline for some unknown reason. Now you say that all channels are bonded - has there been an improvement? If so it may have been something your ISP corrected. If not you may have intermittent issues...

Well I had them resend the signal and it fixed the status page information and is still bonded. Although I think I need to figure out why it says Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only when I think I am Ipv4.

Well I had them resend the signal and it fixed the status page information and is still bonded. Although I think I need to figure out why it says Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only when I think I am Ipv4.

Well sounds good, here's hoping it holds.

I'm thinking IPv6 is another bit of erroneous information. There are only a handful of ISPs in the world who are IPv6 only and you have to specifically go out and find them. They're not for the average user.

All your devices would also need to be IPv6 capable as well.

In short, if you really did have IPv6, you'd know it.;)

Go to http://whatismyipv6address.com/ and that will pretty clearly tell you if you have a public IPv4 address or a public IPv6 address. You almost certainly have an IPv4 address.

yeah it says ipv4 only oh well tnx for the help.

No problem!

That's pretty definitive then, it's just some erroneous data from your modem.

so resending the signal fixed it for about 2 days and the lag came back. Checking my signals today I notice snr has gone from 36 to 34 and down powerlevel has gone to -9 to -13 where before it was -8. It was down to -7 but now went the highest ever. I am going to reboot the router and modem again I guess. Edit: rebooting got the statuses back so far but power level still real high.

Last edited:
so resending the signal fixed it for about 2 days and the lag came back. Checking my signals today I notice snr has gone from 36 to 34 and down powerlevel has gone to -9 to -13 where before it was -8. It was down to -7 but now went the highest ever. I am going to reboot the router and modem again I guess. Edit: rebooting got the statuses back so far but power level still real high.

This is a line problem. Rebooting may or may not help, it sounds like you will need a technician to come and inspect/replace your line.

If you quote out-of-spec or borderline signal levels to your ISP you should not be charged for any line work done outside your demarcation point, i.e. outside your house.

alright I guess I will sometime if I get around to it see about having someone come check the line. As I rebooted it yesterday and that fixed the status page but then again today it is back not started and offline so I had to reboot it again and signals are still -12 power level. Tnx for the tip.