What's new

High dropped wireless packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Royal2000H

Occasional Visitor
Sometimes I get a relatively high rate of dropped packets. For example, I'll play a game, latency is relatively low (under 100, even under 50), then I suddenly lag, keep playing, lag, keep playing, lag and get disconnected.

I always though this was an issue with Time Warner Cable. Until I decided to ping 192.168.1.1 with 100 packets while playing. When I lag out, I switch windows and notice that my pings aren't reaching the router either. When I'm disconnected from the gaming server, something like 3 or more consecutive pings to the router aren't returning.

Even when not gaming, just browsing the web, I can get this stuttering internet. Normal pings are <1ms-3ms. Even at this very moment I got 6% lost, min = 0 ms, max = 66 ms, average = 1 ms. A few minutes earlier: 9% lost, min = 0 ms, max = 1034 ms, average = 25 ms.

Connected to RT-AC68R with a PCE-AC68 on the 5GHz band. Windows 8.1 shows 5 full bars the whole time.

I think this is often temporarily remedied by rebooting the router. Any fix though? Nothing interesting showing up in the General Log.

TL;DR: Wireless signal strong, periodic phases of sporadic dropped packets. Usually improved by rebooting router. Any fix?

Last edited:
not an ideal solution, but you could see if 'RTS' helps in the wifi 'Professional' settings. set it for 1500. if it doesn't help, set it back to the default

Last edited:
1)What is your router's firmware version ?
2)What is the negotiated link speed for that client ( login to router > system logs > wireless logs)
3) Is the drivers for your wireless card upto date ?
4) Finally, how far is your router from your computer ?
5) What other potentially legacy (b/g/n) devices are associated with your 'AC' router ?

The reason I ask these questions is that, on my macpro (3x3) AC connection, I see a link speed of 1300/1300 and a throughput of 480mbps easy in the same room in a very noisy wifi env.
Thanks