What's new

High end residential AP's that perform consistently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

discounteggroll

New Around Here
Hey fellas, been in the networking world for some time, but want advice of seasoned people smarter than me.

I am trying to figure out if there is a better solution for what we are already using as far as AP's, switches, firewalls, etc, but I will leave this post specifically for AP's.

Currently we have an almost universal deployment of Ruckus AP's (generally 4-6) and a zonedirector for every house we visit. While I respect ruckus, I feel their priced a little high, and possibly a little overkill for the applications they are being used in.

While the demography of the client we support does not generally raise an eyebrow to the prices of the equipment or installation (we also use sonicwalls and HP PoE procurve switches in this universal deployment) I see companies like ubiquity and engenius being thrown in the ring.

Should I consider these or any other AP's? Also, if anyone wants to chime in or PM regarding what alternative equipment might be considered based on performance/price specs.

*edit*
Big considerations regarding needs:
*houses I work in are typically multi-floor 5,000-30,000 sq ft (some are quite old as well) as well as outside/pool coverage
*a lot of clients expect a zero hand-off environment when they move throughout house (which is why ruckus was a selling point) - I don't feel Ruckus is 100% reliable on this and does not justify price difference
* PoE is absolutely necessary

Thanks fellas, much appreciated!

Last edited:
There are other folks like you who hang out here, so they'll probably chime in.
Between Ubiquiti and EnGenius, I'd go with Ubiquiti.

Hey fellas, been in the networking world for some time, but want advice of seasoned people smarter than me.

I am trying to figure out if there is a better solution for what we are already using as far as AP's, switches, firewalls, etc, but I will leave this post specifically for AP's.

Currently we have an almost universal deployment of Ruckus AP's (generally 4-6) and a zonedirector for every house we visit. While I respect ruckus, I feel their priced a little high, and possibly a little overkill for the applications they are being used in.

While the demography of the client we support does not generally raise an eyebrow to the prices of the equipment or installation (we also use sonicwalls and HP PoE procurve switches in this universal deployment) I see companies like ubiquity and engenius being thrown in the ring.

Should I consider these or any other AP's? Also, if anyone wants to chime in or PM regarding what alternative equipment might be considered based on performance/price specs.

*edit*
Big considerations regarding needs:
*houses I work in are typically multi-floor 5,000-30,000 sq ft (some are quite old as well) as well as outside/pool coverage
*a lot of clients expect a zero hand-off environment when they move throughout house (which is why ruckus was a selling point) - I don't feel Ruckus is 100% reliable on this and does not justify price difference
* PoE is absolutely necessary

Thanks fellas, much appreciated!
A controller based enterprise WiFi system is good but you go into a sole-source situation because there are no standards that I know of for cross-vendor management methods on the back side.
Aruba and Cisco are the other big guns in this space.

If there's a goodly capital investment so far, I think you're stuck.

Luxul has great products that i have personally installed in the past for clients in large houses. Simple and easy to configure, they work, but, some of their products cost a lot. But the price is worth it.

The basic AC1750 wifi router is around $400

They have a newer model thats comming out, xap-1530. I dont know the cost, but it will cost a lot more. The main shell is a thick metal, that you can literally stand on. Its a commercial grade product.

And the best part, is their phone support. Their guys/girls know their product and can help you with pretty much anything to set it up.

http://luxul.com/

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!