What's new

High ping on dedicated backhaul after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Device Manager

New Around Here
I've had this problem since forever and have thrown everything I've got at it. I'm using two ax92u units in a mesh with dedicated wireless backhaul. After a network restart the ping between the mesh node and the main router goes through the roof. Kids want to play Fortnite and it really affects their game. In ping plotter it looks like massive spikes every second or so. Then the average ping spike height tapers down over a period of about four minutes and then there is a short period, often 30-45 seconds, of low clean ping and then the cycle starts over.

There is a fix that has to be done manually every time, and that is to toggle some setting on the backhaul wifi controls on and off, or just do a mesh optimization. That works about every time, except for the odd one out when I have to do the toggling twice to get the effect.

In terms of setting up the network, I tried to disable and enable any and all functions and features in any number of combinations. I've manually assigned uncongested channels. I upgraded to latest firmware, then switched to Merlin etc etc, but nothing works to alleviate the problem. No matter how the network is set up, it seems like every time it is restarted, the ping just goes haywire.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen this problem before. I can't be the only one affected? If anyone could help me to figure out what is going on it would be great, but at this point I'm also looking for any kind of work around that doesn't involve a manual fix. Could mesh optimizations be scheduled for instance, or be set to be performed after reboots?

Thanks in advance for any help!

/Sebastian

If you want the fastest speed and low latency, use wire not wireless. Also, my thinking is if you want the fastest wireless use a small business network with wireless APs on separate wireless channels. Anytime you have more than 1 wireless unit you will be better off using a small business system.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online