What's new

Home Networking Opinions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fionn

New Around Here
Hello,

I am attempting to setup a home network, with the following. I have 2 Dell PC's, each with dual monitors, which will be used for trading stocks from home (this is my full time office job, and I will be working from home two days a week). I also have a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo IMac, which is the home computer used for general internet use. In addition, I have an Xbox 360 unit.

Currently I have the Imac in the downstairs room, on a cable modem, wired to an old linksys router, and the xbox 360 wired up to the linksys router as well.

I need to run the 2 Dell's for business from an upstairs bedroom/office, and keep the mac and the 360 in the downstairs area. I'm assuming I want to run the 2 Dell's wired (as speed is of utmost importance) and then run the Imac and 360 wireless.

Any thoughts on which router might work best for such a situation?

thanks very much, as I've never setup a wireless network before.

At this point, I'm probably looking at the D-Link 825 or 655. My d/l speed is around 6 mb/s and upload around 510kb/s, so either should work well. I believe both have enough ethernet ports to cover me, so that should be ok. Anything else I should be aware of with these D-Links?

thanks

Those are good choices. Another would be the Linksys WRT400N if you are looking at dual band.

Be aware that 5GHz range will be significantly less than 2.4GHz. So you might not get a benefit from dual-band.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!