What's new

Home wifi build

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woe_and_fury

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys thanks for looking. I have some builds and I'm looking for advice.

I have TimeWarner 300mb plan. I will be buying my own modem and seperate wifi router. What class of modem and wifi router do I need to get the most out of the TW 300 plan? Google fiber will be years away for me.

I see the best modems from TW list of approved modems. There's the Arris SB6190 and Netgear CM600.

What wifi router should I get a basic 1900, or go nuts with a AC 5300 class?

Devices: 3 smart phones, 2 consoles, 3 computers over wifi, two are laptops. My Gaming PC will be in an office now and I'll need to buy a new wifi adapter as well! Any recommendations ?

How will I use the Internet: Cord cutting (no more cable, chromcast, Netflix, etc) I don't have 32 devices, under 15 I'm sure with printers and smart devices these days! I might get back into private trackers, I always wanted to get into what.cd and waffles! Demonid was meh

Sq footage 1700. No budget.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 600
I'll take your 'no budget' comment as 'sky's the limit'. :)

The latest Asus routers are the only ones I'd recommend (RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300) for the most long term enjoyment at the least (per year) cost.

I would further suggest that you 'rent' the modem from your ISP. For the low monthly rate it costs, it will more than save you that in frustration if/when your ISP is at fault for one issue or another sometime in the near or far future. ;)

What wifi router should I get a basic 1900,

i would hardly say anything 1900ac is basic as its the current go to router class and will usually work well for most users

Devices: 3 smart phones, 2 consoles, 3 computers over wifi, two are laptops.

this hardly suggest you have any sort of client load and a 1900ac class router should be fine look at the asus rt-ac68u

My Gaming PC will be in an office now and I'll need to buy a new wifi adapter as well! Any recommendations

there is only 1 real choice and thats the asus pce-ac68

How will I use the Internet: Cord cutting (no more cable, chromcast, Netflix, etc) I don't have 32 devices, under 15 I'm sure with printers and smart devices these days! I might get back into private trackers, I always wanted to get into what.cd and waffles! Demonid was meh

again prob nothing that requires anything more than dual band anyway

Sq footage 1700.
im an aussie so have no idea how big that is but it the router is at one end and its 25 meters to the other end of the house through a few plaster walls any of the AC routers should be fine

if you have money to burn and still think the 1900ac class cant cut your simple needs look at the asus rt-ac88u as its my fav atm , its like the asus rt-ac68u on steroids

-----------------------

I see the best modems from TW list of approved modems. There's the Arris SB6190 and Netgear CM600.

not sure what type of internet you have but check if ether of those modems can be bridged to act as a modem only ( eg bypassing its router and wifi ) as this would be needed to avoid dual nat if you want to run the router behind it

I really appreciate the advice and information, thanks for replying.

Yeah I'm not doing any super special. Just 3-4 users all watching their own netflix and youtube, at the same time. Will AC1900 be okay?

I'll definitely check out the asus pce-ac68!

Yall are right, AC 5300 is prolly overkill for my simple setup. AC 1900 should be fine if you guys think so!

I would rent a modem but it will be about 120 a year, after the first year it will pay for itself :D

So my Time Warner plan is 300 mb, and Google Fiber is 1000mb/s? I dont need any future proofing as Im sure by the time Google Fiber is here, there will be something better.

The SQ 1700 is a small/medium size house, 1 floor, porch and backyard with garage.

Love the Aussienation, always good people that ive encounter at SXSW!

What wifi router should I get a basic 1900, or go nuts with a AC 5300 class?

Devices: 3 smart phones, 2 consoles, 3 computers over wifi, two are laptops. My Gaming PC will be in an office now and I'll need to buy a new wifi adapter as well! Any recommendations ?

Moto/Arris SB6183 is plenty for DOCSIS3 at those rates - and a very good CM...

Any AC1900 class Router/AP - Netgear and Asus seem to have a strong following...

For the Gaming PC - don't do WiFi if Latency is important, keep it on the wired side...

Moto/Arris SB6183 is plenty for DOCSIS3 at those rates - and a very good CM...

Any AC1900 class Router/AP - Netgear and Asus seem to have a strong following...

For the Gaming PC - don't do WiFi if Latency is important, keep it on the wired side...

If I do Wired, I would have to have a long ethernet cable , but I could bust it out when I game, and I don't often... I used to be all about latency in my cs 1.6 days but now i just read reddit and play Civ 5. I mostly play offline games such as Skyrim, or GTA 5. Its funny as you get older I just can't keep up with the younger kids and the 90th installment of CoD

I had a similar dilemma upgrading my 4 year old RT-N66U and my thought process was as follows, already having decided to stick with Asus:

- I considered the AC66U, which would be sufficient for my current needs and is basically the AC version of what I had, but I don't like the idea of paying SGD $259 (USD $190) for a 2.5 year old product.
- The 'how to buy 2015' article claims AC1900 (in my case meaning the AC68U) is the sweet spot for price/performance and the 4x4 MU-MIMO stuff is [was] not really production ready, but this article is a year old.
- The SNB RT-AC68U review surmises that it is not significantly faster or worth the upgrade from the RT-AC66U.
- It looks as though the first generation AC2400 4x4 MU-MIMO devices (RT-AC87U) are far too buggy and should be skipped.
- I've read the MU-MIMO vs. XStream article and subsequent reviews and it does sound like MU-MIMO is the better bet and uses technological improvements rather than brute force (ADD MORE RADIOS!!) to deliver the (theoretical) throughput improvements, favouring the RT-AC88U over the similarly priced RT-AC3200.
- AC5300 is massively pointless.

I sprung for the RT-AC88U in the end and it's bloody fantastic. The RT-AC3100U is exactly the same internals just without the extra 4 Ethernet ports and may be slightly cheaper. Rather counter-intuitively there are two similar sounding standards, AC3200 and AC3100 (technically 3167 but rounded down because AC3200 already exists -- some manufacturers confuse things further by calling it AC3150) which are actually very different in meaning and technology.

Frys has the Asus AC3200 for $200 if you use a code I believe. I will try to get that tomorrow morning unless anyone objects. I have time warner coming tomorrow ,but of course could always reschedule if there's some model online.

The AC5300 looks like a Stargate ship or head crab and its around $340. But the review interesting vs the Netgear x8. More lan port and proper led plus an option to turn them off. It's GUi however reminds me of my Linksys from 2007

Anyways point is i can't utilize most of these and I'm at work most of the time as well ( wish I worked at home, 6speed plus traffic... )

I like having a phone app though, that's pretty baller.

Now if I had this... http://gizmodo.com/374024/40-gigabit-granny-used-worlds-fastest-connection-to-dry-laundry

Last edited:
Price difference not withstanding I'd still be more inclined towards the RT-AC3100U / RT-AC88U as I think it's based on better, more future proof technology, for reasons that are explained here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...s-xstream-the-coming-battle-for-wi-fi-airtime

The AC3100U is 4x4 MU-MIMO on a single 5GHz radio, the idea being that the router intelligently assigns smaller slices of airtime to clients to optimize throughput. I don't think this is fully implemented in firmware yet though.

The AC3200U has two 3x3 5GHz radios (hence 6 antennas) allowing you to create two 5GHz SSIDs, the idea being the router shuffles clients between them autonomously to optimize speed for all clients. In reality I don't think it quite works. You could disable that automation and create two totally independent 5GHz SSIDs on non-overlapping channels and manually assign your clients as you see fit, eg. one SSID dedicated for your gaming PC that won't be used by anyone else for video streaming or whatever.

The AC5300U is a combination of both; two 4x4 5GHz radios (hence the somewhat ludicrous 8 antennas).

If I go with Arris SB6183 or SB6190 modem with The TP link Google onhub ac1900 wifi router? Would this be able to at least take advantage of my TW 300 plan? Frys pissed me off and I have a bestbuy down the street... The Ac3100 is $300 total....

Last edited:
Okay got the sb 6183 modem. Tiny.

Router really simple. One WAN port and I didn't even check the settings.

I might return it in a week for an Asus if one goes on sale.

Didn't try TimeWarner speed test and used a phone to test so no Ethernet with laptop yet.

I'll test more after work!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 632
Looks like i'm going to return it, the only nice thing about it is the mobile application, everything else is subpar.

Also with the setup, my wifi router will be located in my living room in the corner, my room is practically on the opposite side.

I'm searching for the best priced RT-AC88u which is the 3100, confusing because theres an AC 3200.

If you have a choice between AC3100 (RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100) or the RT-AC3200 - take the AC3100 class device...

The RT-AC3200 is an AC1900 class device with an extra AC1300 radio built on - hence adding up the numbers...

If you have a choice between AC3100 (RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100) or the RT-AC3200 - take the AC3100 class device...

The RT-AC3200 is an AC1900 class device with an extra AC1300 radio built on - hence adding up the numbers...

Thanks, ill post an update soon with a review :)

update - going to return the sb 6183 and onhub router to bestbuy

I bought the RT-88U with the SB6190 (combo to save 30) and plus it came with a $50 mail in rebate (same price as the sb6183, I just have to call Time Warner and register the new modem) from newegg with free shipping and tax if anyone else is out there.

Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet. To go over everything . They say that time's supposed to heal ya. But I ain't done much healing

Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet. To go over everything . They say that time's supposed to heal ya. But I ain't done much healing

While it would be nice to do - I'd like to meet a few face to face, including a few that some folks might think I'm hard against - a social event to discuss where the community is, and where it's going...

We're a global community here...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!