What's new

HomePNA Connection - to WAN port only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bubsdaddy

New Around Here
I have a 5th gen Airport Extreme Base station that is my main router. I also have a 3rd gen Airport Extreme Base station that I bought on Craigslist with the known issue of a non-working WAN port. I originally setup the 3rd gen as a wireless extension of my network but then discovered the speed was better with the 5th gen alone and it provided decent coverage to my bedroom (which is where I had coverage issues with my previous routers). Anyway, after doing some reading here, I think the slower speed issue would be solved by using HomePNA devices. My question is:

Do the HomePNA devices need to use the WAN port on the 3rd gen as the connection or can they be used with a (working) LAN port? If I connect to the LAN port, can I use the 3rd gen as a roaming network?