What's new

How can I connect more than 16 laps to a switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yokama

New Around Here
Hello, I have this problem, I want to connect 24 laptops at least to a linksys x1000, the problem is that it can only accept like 16 laptops after that I have a lot of problems but the most common is that the laptops starts to disconect from the router and sometimes the router resets itself, what can I do? Thanx

My guess is that it is not designed for that many clients. I assume you are trying to connect them all by WiFi?

Either change to another router that supports more clients. Or better, add an access point to handle the additional load.

Ok, I'm a new user to this lan/wireless thing... can I just connect the access point to the linksys x1000 switch and bam I don't need to do anything else or do i need an extra configuration? Sorry too much questions :(

Yes, you just connect the access point (AP) to your router switch. You should set it to use a different channel (1, 6, 11 in 2.4 GHz) than the router. You might want to assign it a different SSID so that you can control where clients connect.

Consumer APs do not automatically load balance, i.e. tell clients to connect to another AP when they are full.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!