What's new

How many devices with a RT-AX88U pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how many devices the RT-AX88U Pro could handle ? What's its limit ? What's happening if there are too many devices connected ?
Yesterday I came home to find that my Raspberry Zero 2 W wasn't reachable anymore. It was on, but I couldn't ping it. I couldn't log on. But I could see it in the list of the devices connected to the router. I unplugged it a few times and I don't know why, suddenly I could ping it again, I could log on. No error in the log files. Weird.
Thanx for your thoughts :)

You didn't indicate how many devices you have currently connected to your router other than a Raspberry Pi. How is the Raspberry Pi connected to the router? Using WiFi or using Ethernet?
Yesterday I came home to find that my Raspberry Zero 2 W wasn't reachable anymore. It was on, but I couldn't ping it. I couldn't log on.
Likely the Pi Zero 2 W crashed and is unrelated to any issue the router may have. Probably want to look at the logs on the Pi as to what happened. Could be the MicroSD card is falling if using a MicroSD card on the Pi. Been there done that with a Pi Zero W that became flaky when it's MicroSD card started going bad. Would crash at odd times.

Hello and thanx for your response.

The Raspberry Zero 2 W is a WiFi device only.
I forgot to add that I swapped this Rasp with a spare one that I had, different IP. Same thing happened : I could see it in the Asus list of devices, but I couldn't ping it, and of course I couldn't log on. So I swapped it again with the previous one, and after a while, it became available.
I have around 32 devices. Ethernet and Wifi. It adds up fast. iPads, MacBooks, Windows laptops, Google Homes, Amazon Alexas, power strips, three ethernet NAS, ...

And how many bands does my Asus have ?
I see that the CPU is always below 10%, all the cores. 720MB RAM used.
Very stable router :)

Is it like 30 devices using the 2.4GHz and 30 using the 5GHz ? If so, I'm still good.
What's happening if you have like 70 devices ? Out of curiosity. They won't connect ? The CPU will burst in flame ?

The CPU will burst in flame. 🙃

Some devices may not connect or stay connected as a result.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!