What's new

How should I set up my network? Airport Extreme or Netgear router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vszulc

New Around Here
Hope you guys can help me...

I used to use a 5th gen Airport Extreme as a router at home, but recently moved and now get internet from a new provider. Its a 60 MB cable connection, and it came with a Netgear C6250 modem/router. The Netgear has 802.11AC wifi, which my Macbook Air also has. But... Now I'm not sure as to how I should set up my network...

Run everything through the Netgear? Use the Netgear as a modem, and run the network using the Airport as a router? Or maybe just use the Netgear for my Macbook Air, and run the rest of the network through the Airport?

I/we have the following devices:

* Netgear 102 NAS (Connected with a LAN cable. I like to use it for storing movies/files, playing movies and for Time Machine backup.)
* An Apple TV (Connected with a LAN cable)
* Wii U
* Old Wintel PC (That can run on a separate DSL connection, and does so much of the time)
* 2011 iMac (I'm inclined to run this with a LAN cable)
* 2014 Macbook Air (I think thats the only device that has 802.11 AC)
* iPad Air
* iPad mini 2
* iPad mini
* iPad 2
* iPhone 5s
* Nokia Lumia 520
* Nintendo 3DS (This isn't on the network that often)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how I should set up my home network, which router to use and how, and if I have the right devices using a LAN cable rather than wifi would be greatly appreciated!

I would try the Netgear as the main router and have the AE as an AP if you need it for the apple backup feature (it has a hard drive?).

If the Netgear doesn't provide you with the expected performance, consider using it in bridge mode (basically, as a modem only) and then looking at the top AC routers such as the current Asus or Netgear models.

The Netgear 7000 or the Asus RT-AC68U, specifically, and with the Asus, the RMerlin firmware too.

As you can see, the AE is not my choice at all for routing duties. If you want the best performing router today, don't try the fruity alternatives.

As to why you want an AC class router search for the article on this site which shows the gains that an AC class router has even with N class devices. If you're going to be spending the money today for a new router, may as well be the one that will be current today and therefore more relevant for longer too.

Thanks...

I don't have a HD in the Airport, I use the NAS for backup. The Netgear seems OK, though things seemed faster when I used the Airport for router...
Can you recommend some good tools for measuring network speed/throughput?

With regards to
though things seemed faster when I used the Airport for router...

Have you created a new ssid to take full advantage of the new router?

Have you reset the router to defaults after all your playing and manually entered only the minimum amount needed to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

For tools, all that matters to me is real world throughput and responsiveness. Given that, I time a real folder of my files and see what MB/s I get when I'm testing things.

For the responsiveness, I look at how fast or effortless web pages load. With the latest revamp of the forums here, this site is a good test; it is especially noticeable if a new firmware or a tweak is good or if it hinders that responsiveness I like.

I used to use programs like inssider, but it often left me chasing my tail. What the theoretical 'should be' was almost never what the real world 'was'. :)

To make sure your current setup with the ISP supplied modem / router is working at it's peak, follow these steps:

Reset the router to factory defaults and then manually enter a new ssid and the security settings for the router access and the wireless access bands. Do not change anything you do not need to at this point. You should have a secured network and Internet access.

Now, turn off the modem / router for at least 10 minutes and better still, 30 minutes or more. This will reset your connection with your ISP.

With all your devices either rebooted or turned off, turn on the modem / router and wait at least 5 minutes. The network, once ALL your devices have been turned on after this 5 minute wait, will be at the fastest possible speed and with the most responsiveness too.

From a wired computer to a wireless computer, download a folder of mixed files (small and large files) that you would typically transfer that way. Note the MB/s of that transfer.

Using Ookla speedtest, check the connection to your ISP. Use your top 3 or 5 favorite locations in your space where you would normally use your notebook wirelessly. Note if you are getting your paid for ISP speeds.

Keep in mind that the most accurate measure of your wireless network is with a laptop with a good wifi card (two or more antennae) installed. Almost all handheld devices will not deliver the highest speed your network may be capable of. They are tuned for battery life and usually have only one antennae and are not meant for the highest performance (in range or throughput).

With the above tips you should be able to test your AE and your Netgear routers and any future routers you try and be able to determine if any changes result in a better or worse experience in your specific environment.

I would suggest you keep a wireless 'diary' where you make a note of the important points above. Because usually, you'll only be doing this once every so often; when the firmware changes or your equipment changes. And trying to remember the last base spec's will be elusive at times. ;)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!